Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Perfect Sunday

As much as Sunday has been my favorite day of the week for many, many years, it's been one of the hardest for  nearly a year now.  But today was different.  Special.  A gift.

It started off with making breakfast for a houseful of kids.  My three, my future daughter-in-law, Brittany and her adorable cousin Corin.  Drew and the girls came up Saturday to go to the Fair and spend the night.

Next we hopped in the van all cozy-like (7 of us!) and drove to a church Scott has been preaching at for a few weeks.  It was simply glorious to take up a whole row again.  I didn't realize how much I'd miss that when they started going off in directions away from home. Sniff.

I love listening to this man preach because he doesn't just speak it.  He lives it. I love my children listening to their Father preach.  They know he lives it too. The message was so good and I took plenty of notes.  You're not surprised, I know.  Perhaps later I'll jot them down for us all to enjoy. I was particularly delighted to see Brittany taking notes.  This girl is a dream come true. For me and for Drew. 

After we came home and waited for dinner to cook. I was quite pleased that I actually fixed a "Sunday meal". I've always wanted to be that wife/mom who has a roast in the oven every Sunday for lunch.  It might have happened twice. If you're familiar with our family, we often prefer to head to the Chinese Buffet after church.  It's a tradition.  Or we eat leftovers.  But since we ate at the Fair all day Saturday, I was determined that the college kids have a homecooked meal.  So I made a casserole.  Aaahhh.  Doesn't that sound nice?  Hey, it's September 1st....it's time!

The girls helped me in the kitchen, set the table and folded napkins.Wanted to put this baby into good use. Yes, I really do have this book.  I asked for it for Christmas one year and my mother in law obliged.
We played a game and laughed loudly (I love those smiles!) until it was ready and then we feasted.  Dinosaur BBQ style shepherds pie, caesar salad, corn and crescent rolls (no time to prepare homemade this time) and various leftover desserts.

As if the day wasn't satisfying enough, soon one by one us four girls found our way into the kitchen.  The 'men' were sacked out in front of golf on tv. Proof.
We made mugs of hot drinks and talked about important things.  I mean the good stuff you dream of talking with young women about and they initiated it.  All the while, I was whispering thank you's to God for such a beautiful gift and for bringing these three beauties into my life.

Then before the BBC 3 headed back to school, we got out Ally's nail polish and I'll be darned, amidst all the fluorescent colors I always reject, I found this awesome shade of blue.  I couldn't resist. Do you like it too?

It's a little known fact that about three years ago I was in NC at a Women's Ministry conference and was seated at a meal with women I didn't know.  I chatted the whole time with one who had on the most amazing blue nail polish.  I was mesmerized by it and to this day can't remember what we were talking about.  But I pledged to find some for myself one day.  I have bought countless bottles since then but none have hit the mark.  Until today. This might be the one.

O Happy Day for so very many reasons.  Amen.
I hope yours was happy too.

1 comment:

Mom D said...

Sounded like a perfect weekend. How blessed you are, Angela. But....blue?? Actually it does look pretty. hehe