Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Little Time with Extended Family

Today Scott and I went to a funeral.  His Uncle Bob went to heaven last week.  Probably like you, funerals make me reflective.  My mind goes a million places as the service progresses.  Today was no different.

We were in an old church in Cortland that is a part of my husband's family history.  Like Scott, I love church buildings, the older the better.  Even though I consider myself a big church person, there is a place for small, old churches.  Especially for funerals and weddings.  It was enjoyable noticing the stained glass windows and old wooden pews.  Though I must admit, I was wondering what changed when after about 30 minutes my back was killing me and no matter what new position I squirmed into, I was still uncomfortable.  Reminded me of some of my more mature friends who dislike old church pews.  I guess I'm getting up there with them.

I was looking forward to seeing all the aunts, uncles and cousins.  One is a farmer.  What is it about farmers?  My experience is that they are all soft spoken and have kind eyes.  I like that. I even got an invitation (my 2nd) to tour the farm and go for rides on the farm equipment.  Come back in a few weeks - I'll post pictures.

Another cousin is just plain handsome.  He's a Patrick Duffy look alike for sure.  I like to look at his hair. No judging me here - we all admire beauty from time to time.  I noticed today that he was using readers to see the order of service.  Ah yes, even the beautiful age.  Made me feel better about my deteriorating eyesight.

All the others are quite pleasant too and I enjoy marvelling with them at how big our kids have grown in spite of the fact that we remain so young.  Today, in fact, it was noted that our beloved firstborn is the first of the Randall great-grandchildren to get engaged.  WHAT?!?!  I know I'm not old enough for this title.

I was also looking forward to being with Scott's mom, brother Tim and my sister-in-law Chris.  It's always my lucky day when I get to sit by Tim at a family function.  Usually we are like the naughty kids who whisper to each other and giggle too much.  This was not really possible today as my mother-in-law had us sitting so close to the front.  I wonder if this was intentional.  I think she sat behind us at Ben's graduation and didn't want a repeat performance.

Anyway, as Uncle Bob's kids reminisced their favorite funny memories, it was good to hear Tim laugh loudly.  It's always good for my soul and makes me chuckle.  Though if I'm being honest, I prefer to be the one who causes the "big laugh".

Memorial services usually spur on the wonder of "what will they say about me at mine?'.  One of my favorite things said of Uncle Bob today was this.  After listing his work success, community involvement, etc., "He cared most about being a good husband and father."

In a world riddled with marital strife and unfaithfulness, divorce and split homes, this is a worthy life pursuit that matters to many.  It certainly has made its mark on Aunt Jean and their kids and grandkids.  I admire him for that.  What a tremendous legacy. (No condemnation if you are divorced. I meant that. It simply is a great accomplishment worthy to be noticed.)  I'm not just talking about a life long marriage, I was impressed that he was striving to be a good husband.  Think about that. 

I had expected we would hear a favorite funeral song, "In The Garden", and was not disappointed.  It's always so appropriate and meaningful.

The pastor's message was inspiring and spoke directly into my heart.  He talked about hope.  Not the kind of hope like a kid might have on Christmas morning "I hope I get ______", but rather this 'old-fashioned' definition - waiting with confident expectation.

Those are four powerful words.  They struck me right where I needed to be struck.  We will all eventually find ourselves in a situation where we are experiencing hope while we wait.  Oh yes.  When it involves the death of someone we love, we will grieve and hope that in the end we see that person again.  In heaven.  And we will have a choice.  Without God, we will grieve and hope like the kid on Christmas morning who isn't really sure, or in Christ, "we will not grieve like the rest of men who have no hope. We believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him." 1 Thess 4:13,14  Confidence!

And if it's just plain old waiting for something we are longing for, we can have the same confident expectation in a God who is our "very present help".  I needed the reminder today. God is faithful to keep all His promises.

Before it was over, I wrote three words in my bulletin that God was whispering to me and I didn't want to forget.  (This is also a new thing to me, how I can't remember anything five minutes after hearing it.  So I write it down.) 

 Hope.  Faithfulness.  Peace.

Hope - waiting with confident expectation.
Faithfulness - Uncle Bob to Aunt Jean and his marriage covenant. God's faithfulness to His children, to me.
Peace - can I say "It is well with my soul" no matter what I'm going through?

I am always listening for a message from God at funerals and I'm grateful when He gives it.  I hope as you read this it will speak hope, faithfulness and peace into your life.

P.S. Tim saw me writing and leaned over whispering, "I thought it was a note for me."  I told you we can't be trusted.

Oh, I almost forgot.  Since we were in Cortland, we ate at one of my favorite places for lunch.  Now that we've moved to the Binghamton area, the only time we get Doug's Fish Fry is from a truck occasionally parked in a church or bank parking lot.

The first 3 pics are me trying to take a shot of the outside of the actual restaurant while Scott slowly drove by.  I've got some improving to do.
 Yumm!  I could eat fish everyday.


No comments: