Monday, September 16, 2013

Ministry of Food Monday

Here's a quick easy recipe for you today.  I make this often because IF I keep the hash browns in the freezer, I most always have the rest of the ingredients on hand and can whip it up on a whim.

Sometimes I buy hearty bagels (like from Panera or Price Chopper's bakery) and serve it for dinner.

I recently prepared this for a group of ladies I love and get together with every week. They said it was yummy and really liked it.  Women and egg casseroles just go together, don't they?

Wake Up Casserole
8 frozen hash brown patties or tater tots to cover the bottom of your baking dish
4 cups (16 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb (2 cups) cubed fully cooked ham or any breakfast meat
7 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1/2 tsp ground mustard

Place potatoes of your choice in single layer of greased 13x9 baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese and meat.

In bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard.  Pour over potatoes and ham.  Here it is right before the oven.
Did you notice the red pot is still on the stove?  Sorry, slight diversion.  Cover and bake at 350 for 45 min.  Uncover and bake 15 min more until edges are brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.  All ovens are different, so keep an eye on it.

Tips:
I usually save some of the cheese for the top
I often add an extra egg or two just for more
I always add green onions to the top when done cooking.  Green onions make everything better and Scott likes them.  You can add all sorts of veggies.
You could whip it up the night before and bake in the morning.  But it's so easy and takes so little time, you don't need to.

Have fun with this.  Make it your own.

We also had coffee.  When I'm having ladies over, I tend to splurge on fun seasonal creamers, like these.  Pumpkin spice, Cinnabon and Hot for Cookie (Cookie Sundae).  I love women's ministry.
Wanna come over sometime?
PS...we also ate the leftover Gingerbread Pumpkin Dessert I posted last week.  It was a hit!

No comments: