Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Ally Burtis Is Officially On The Road

Another milestone at the Burtis house.  Ally, our youngest, just a mere 16-years-old, wants to get her permit.  To drive a car.  On public streets.  In our car.

We've already got two sons licensed, so you'd think we have no apprehensions, right?
Yeah, about that.

An experienced friend warned me, "Boys just get in the car and drive. Girls get all freaked out and cry and scream and overract about everything. They make it drama."  Well that's something to look forward to.

Scott and I finally decided we'd better let her get on with it.  So this last week whenever she's threatened to say or think, 'I'm bored', we said, "Why don't you read the permit book so you can be ready when we are?".   You'd think we asked her to read an encyclopedia.

I don't remember this struggle with the boys.  When they wanted to drive, we got them the book and handed it to them, saying, "Let us know when you finish it."  Then they read the book. Just like that.  They.read.the.book.  So we took them to the DMV,  they passed the test and drove away.  Seemed so simple.

Ah, but as history continues to write itself differently by gender here, it's not that cut and dried.  Ally's method of studying is to take the online sample tests over and over until the questions become familiar and she no longer fails.

I'm sorry, but my Father taught me a work ethic and I can't get behind this slacker method.  (What's wrong with this generation?)

So I threatened.  "If you don't read the book from cover to cover (as many times as necessary), you're not taking the test.  And not just the pictures!"

"But, there's too many words."  Too many words?  Give me strength.

"A bunch of my friends said they didn't read the book because the test is so easy."  I cursed their parents (in my mind).

She should have known this was coming next: "We are not like everyone else.  Read the book."

After a healthy dose of "if you fail" statements meant to soften the possible blow (sort of), she went to bed nervous last night about today's events.

When she got up and reported to me sitting in my usual chair, Bible open, coffee in hand, I said, "Well, I prayed for you today..."  She smiled and said, "Thanks, Mommy!"

I continued, "...that God would reward you according to your effort."

She said, "You're mean."

We drove to the DMV.  I hate the DMV.  Anybody else?  Of course, we didn't have the proper papers, so had to go back home and get her SS card.  It torks me to waste time!! 

The rest will be told in pictures.

Here she is taking the test.

Waiting to be called up.  "I can't take it, Mom"
"I was freaking out!"
Go figure....she passed!  Jesus loves her.
I said, "What happens if you don't pass?" 

And then drove back to school.


I do love this kid.  Granted, we've got the drama, but she also brings the fun.  The boys were not nearly so expressive verbally or physically when it was their turn.  And now she's on the road.  You're welcome.

No comments: