Monday, September 2, 2013

The Ministry of Food

Sounds like I'm overspiritualizing an addiction, doesn't it?  Keep reading....

I heard that phrase, the ministry of food, recently in the context of a home cooked meal served in a welcoming home.  It usually accompanies the idea of a family gathering, friends invited for dinner, familiarity, joy filling a room as a meal is shared and how it matters to the guest(s). It communicates an "I love you and want to please you" kind of attitude.  It says, "You're worth my effort."  I like the sound of that.

As I get older, and my kids leave the nest, I realize the significance and impression of a meal cooked by mom served at the family table when they return.  I know my kids and their college friends appreciate it when I hear the groans as they taste something they don't normally get in the cafeteria.  It makes me happy.  Gives significance to the time and effort I expend planning and making it.  Highly satisfying!

Sadly, I notice in the up and coming generations the norm looks more like ordering take out, eating out or serving at least partially prepared foods.  I get it and enjoy that too. There's certainly a place for it.  I'm the first one ready to say yes to a restaurant or ordering out.  Proof - Nirchi's Pizza and the Chinese place around the corner are programmed into my phone. 

I wonder though, is it possible that this art form (hospitality by means of preparing and serving meals to friends and family) may be in danger of extinction at worse or at best be so rare it's never even expected?  God forbid.  We can't let it happen.  

I in no way intend to impart guilt here.  Just throwing out another idea.  Kind of old fashioned maybe, but worthwhile in my experience.

Ministry is one of my favorite words.  I see why this form of hospitality is considered a ministry.  It's an act of serving in the form of food. I like doing it and I like receiving some hospitality prepared especially for me.  That is ministry.  You know it means something to the receiver by the way their remarks such as, "You made this from scratch?" or "I love your cooking." or "You didn't have to cook for me, but I'm glad you did."

Lastly, but definitely not of less importance is another Biblical principle behind it.  According to the Bible, older women are to teach the younger women..."to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home (hospitality, ministry of food), to be kind and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the Word of God."  Titus 2:4,5  It matters to God too.  

I think the generations before us had something right.  Don't we all enjoy these meals at someone else's place?  When we go to our mother's home, our grandmother's house or perhaps that of another couple who matter to us.  I know I do.  It screams "home" and "you're wanted here" and "you're worth it".  I personally have learned so much sitting in the kitchen of a mentor-type woman and been inspired to create a similar atmosphere, comfort meals for my family and friends.

I bet we all desire this...maybe deep down inside somewhere?  Why else do you think so many of us pin awesome photos and recipes on our Pinterest boards?  We sense the pleasure and want in on it.  But how often do we actually attempt it ourselves?

Which brings me to the reason for writing today.  Since I know many younger women, wives, mothers read my blog (and I thank you), I'm going to start a specific segment here. Ministry of Food Mondays.  If you're a man, you can try your hand in the kitchen too.  What is more attractive than a man cooking for his family?

Every Monday I will give you a recipe or two (with pics) that I've made which was well received.  I will try a new dish or dessert.  If it flops, I will share an old standby.  I promise they won't be too difficult or time consuming though the best reward comes from attempting something that cost us a bit of time.  

What do you think?  You in?  Try a new recipe once a week?  If I can do it, you can do it.  

Let's bless our families and show a measure of down home hospitality to our friends.  I'm not talking about every day, every meal, but maybe more often than what is currently happening.  Have company over and make them a beautiful, heartfelt meal.  Or bring a meal to someone in need.  I promise they will love you for the effort and you will be blessed.

Last week two friends from our former hometown came to visit.  This is some of what I served them. 

This time, I served these as sandwich rolls with egg salad and tuna salad. This is probably the #1 item expected on the dinner table by my kids if they've been away.  Yeast was one of three fears I brought into marriage with me that I was determined to conquer.  This recipe makes it easy.

Homemade Rolls

1 cup warm water (I usually run the tap straight HOT for a minute or two and then measure)
3 TBSP soft butter
3 TBSP (heaping) sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg
3 1/2 c. flour
2 TBSP dry milk
one pkg rapid rise yeast

I use a bread machine to form the dough, but you certainly can mix it yourself, knead and let rise til doubled.  When done rising, on floured surface roll into small balls and place in baking dish.  I use a 9 inch round stone one.  Cover and let rise 30 to 45 min.  Bake at 350 for 15 min.

Smell the glory!


This is a first time recipe for me and it was a hit.  I loved getting out my big red pot and seeing it simmering away on the stove.  The smell was unbelievable.

 Italian Meatball Stew 

½ lb sausage
½ lb ground beef
1 small red onion, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup basil leaves, finely chopped (or use 1 TBSP dried basil)
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 ¾ cups tomato sauce
4 cups chicken stock
1 can white beans
2 zucchini, diced
½ cup acine de pepe pasta or risotto
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Combine minced onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, basil, parmesan and egg in large bowl.
Season with salt and pepper.  Mix well.
Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls.  Place on large plate and set aside.
Pour tomato sauce, stock AND 2 cups of water into a large, deep saucepan.  Cover, bring to boil over high heat.  Skim froth from surface.
Add meatballs.  Return to gentle boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Add pasta and zucchini.  Cook for another 5 minutes.
Add beans.  Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables tender.
Sprinkle with parmesan if desired and serve with crusty Italian bread or homemade rolls (see above)

Now for dessert.....
Found these babies on Pinterest and Oh.My.Goodness.  They are as good as they look.  And they go a long way because they are so rich.  You only need to cut them in small pieces.  I just made my 2nd batch in 4 days.

Peanut Butter Brookies
    For the Brownie layer:
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
  • For the Cookie layer:
  • 1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup peanut butter morsels
  • 8oz bag Reese's mini peanut butter cups
Instructions
  1. For the brownie layer, melt chocolate chips with butter for 1 1/2 minutes in microwave safe glass bowl. Stir until smooth. Add sugar, flour and eggs and combine completely.
  2. Pour into a 13x9 baking dish lined with parchment paper.
  3. For the cookie dough, beet crisco with butter. Beat in milk, vanilla, sugars, peanut butter and egg. Add flour salt and baking powder. Fold in peanut butter morsels and Reese's mini PB cups.
  4. Drop cookie dough onto brownie batter layer. Smooth evenly.
  5. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove and cool completely. Refrigerate and cut into bars.
Come on...let's do this together and let me know what response you get.  See you next Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just rewound to this post to see where all the yummy food posts have generated from. I love this idea, a wise older woman told me once that she would always bake cookies for her kids school lunches and they would be the talk of the town. I adopted this policy and school lunches will never be the same. To take my love for family (and food) one step further, I have my kids help grow, pick, cook or bake their school snacks with me. this week we are having zucchini bread, apple chips and apples fresh from the farm. (we went picking this weekend) The kids are really looking forward to the raspberry jam we made last night! I know that these memories will be cherished for years and they will always have something to look forward to when they come home...