Monday, September 9, 2013

Ministry of Food Monday

I am digging this cool Fall air.  It changes everything about what we're eating.  Time to switch from salads and grilling to casseroles, crockpots, and pies.
I got my big red pot out again (I like this pot so much that sometimes I just leave it here even when I'm not using it.  It makes me happy - am I weird?) and made this side dish. It is a combination of several recipes, therefore, it's an original to me! It makes too much for my shrinking family, so I'll be adding it to a meal I'm bringing to a friend today.

Sweet 'n Spicy Beans 'n More

1 lb. bacon
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 lb. ground turkey sausage
1 large vidalia onion, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup Dinosaur BBQ slathering sauce (or your favorite)
2 T. dry mustard
2 T. molasses
1 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can great northern (white) beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
2 cans pork 'n beans

Optional garnish:
sliced avocado
corn chips

Cook bacon, break into pieces.  Set aside.  In large stockpot, cook turkey and sausage and onion together.  Of course you can use ground beef, but I used turkey for a healthier choice. The "spicy" comes from the sausage, so feel free to use the hot stuff.  Drain and then add next 9 ingredients.  Let simmer 10 min.  Then add all the beans and bacon.

You can either bake it at 325 for an hour or put it in your crockpot on low for 2-3 hours til heated through or you can just simmer it on the stovetop til the smell lets you know you can't wait another minute.  MMM....can't you just smell it?  This is part of the ministry.

I'm serving this with grilled cheese hamburgers.  My take on a patty melt without the grilled onions or rye bread.  Just slip a burger (grilled outside for best flavor) between two pieces of cheese and butered bread.  Wa-la! 
 I do not remember to make these often enough. I should because it would save me having 2-4 extra hamburger buns everytime that I end up throwing out.

You should know one member of our family who will remain nameless turned her nose up at this dish, stating "I don't like beans".  I did what every loving, patient mother would do.  I ignored the remark. She asked if she could make a box of macaroni and cheese for her to eat.  Uh, no. When I put avocado and corn chips on mine, she suddenly got interested.  The next thing I heard was, "Mom, this is really good."  Moral of the story:  make them at least try what you have prepared for dinner. 
And for dessert.....this will be the first of many Fall desserts.  This one came from my Pinterest board. 

Gingerbread Pumpkin Bars
For the bars

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup rolled quick oats

For the filling
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 3/4 cups mashed pumpkin
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs

For the drizzle
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar and molasses until creamy. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Reserve 3/4 cup of this mixture and place in a small bowl. Scoop the remaining mixture into a 10″ x 15″ baking pan lightly coated with nonstick spray. Add the oats to the reserved mixture and mix until combined – set aside.

To make the filling
In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add pumpkin, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves – mix until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing just until combined. Scoop the mixture over the uncooked base and use an off-set spatula to evenly spread the mixture over the top. Crumble reserved oat mixture over filling.

Bake until the topping is a golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the drizzle
In a small bowl, mix together confectioners’ sugar, butter and vanilla. Mix in just enough milk until the mixture will easily flow from a spoon – drizzle over cooled bars.

 OOps, took the pic too soon - before the drizzle was put on.  And after someone taste tested.  Sssshh.  This was an easy recipe to split in two. One for us and one for some friends.  More ministry food.

I recommend always keeping several sizes and quantities of foil pans so there's no returning of dishes.

Don't forget to let me know if you've tried any of the recipes.....hope you love them.

No comments: