Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Last Few Adirondack Ramblings

I guess it's taken me a few days to get back here.  Of course, I'm home and immersed in real life.  The bad news is that my week away had to end, but the good news is that it was so great and the primary goal was reached....bring Ben home. 

This will be an incredibly random post, just tying up some loose ends.  I checked my phone and found all these pics.

This is the campfire service that Word of Life hosts every week at every camp all summer long.  Bible Institute students give their testimonies, camp songs like "Holding Forth The Word of Life" are sung and the Gospel is presented with an invitation to throw a stick in the fire signifying a desire/passion to follow Christ for life.

To be honest, I haven't attended in a few summers but since I was alone, didn't really have anything to do and was in a reflective mood, I walked around the lake and took a seat on a wood bench.  These pictures don't really capture the fact that it was packed with families.
Mike Calhoun preached.  As my boys would say, "He's the man."  He is.  He's one of my favorite staff speakers.  His message was simple and relevant.  When he invited all to come forward, I was delighted and surprised at how many people, young and old, got out of their seats and surrounded the fire.  I mean, I'd say 2/3 of the stands were emptied.  2/3!!

I slipped out and walked back to my cabin thanking God for all I'd just witnessed.  God is alive and at work giving new life at Word of Life camps and around the world.  This is what it's all about.

On my last day, I just sort of wandered around town, taking in the sights.  Here are some of them.

Everytime I am here I must stop and visit this roadside shop much to Scott's chagrin.  But he wasn't with me, so I did.  Aren't these the cutest bears you've ever seen?

 I.want.this.guy.  He's been on my wish list for about five years now.  I can see him on my front stoop or back porch, can't you?  However, the pricetag always prohibits the purchase.  Maybe someday.  In the meantime, I have this photo.
I was surprised to find this old friend.  Famous, in my book.  It's Bert Britt, former WOL soloist and our wedding singer!  It was good to catch up for a few minutes.

Next, I took a few back roads and visited the Adirondack General Store.  They serve breakfast.  It screams camp.  I want to live here.

Fresh donuts!!  Worth the trip.  I resisted though.  Sometimes you just have to say no.


Because it was Ben's last night of camp and he had lots of jobs to do, I was on my own for dinner.  I drove around until I found someplace that I thought might be like a diner.  In hindsight, I realize it was a bar, but what are you going to do?  I had this glorious bacon egg cheeseburger and perfect skinny, crunchy fries.  I do not dig fat or steak fries and the egg was over easy.  Yummy yolks.  So, I sat out on the back deck (alone) to escape the smoke and darkness of the "diner" and enjoyed my book while eating alone.  It sounds sad, but I wasn't sad.  It was peaceful and quiet.

Then since I was out, I stopped and got a make your own sundae.  Delicious.  A classic black and white.  Hot fudge and marshmallow.  Oh my.  I only ate about five bites.  Turns out it was a little too sweet.  Don't tell Scott - he will think I wasted $2.20.  I didn't - it was not a waste.  More like, just enough.

Saturday morning, I packed my car and cleaned up the cabin and decided since I ate whole grain cereal with skim milk EVERY DAY this week that I would splurge on a fresh, from scratch belgian waffle.  (A WOL specialty).  It was glorious.

 Then I noticed that the bakery had many loaves of english muffin bread for sale.  Another favorite that I would beg Drew to bring home whenever he was on break.  I bought a loaf or two...or six.  Grilled cheese on english muffin bread.  Oh yeah.
It occurs to me at this point that I may be leaving the impression that when I'm alone I eat.  Hmmm.  Something to ponder.

At last, the moment arrived and my boy came off the lake for the last time.

 After we stopped for a quick lunch a nap was certainly in order.


I was still kind of bummed that my sons' summer schedules did not cooperate with our family time.  Much to my surprise and delight, Scott spontaneously drove us down to Drew to reunite the boys....and get some Krispy Kremes.  The boys were the priority, I promise.  There's nothing like the five being together, even if just for an hour.  The donuts were just icing on the cake.  Literally.

A beautiful vacation.  God's blessings and gifts are abundant and I appreciate each one.  Thanks for hanging with me all week.  It was fun to share it with you. 

No comments: