Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Rich Bible Study and Girls Lunch in Lake George

It was wonderful to wake up to sunshine and blue skies today.  A little cool, but I don't mind putting a sweatshirt on one bit.

I wrote home and this is how it went:
So I guess we won't be seeing what's going on there.  Ahem.

This is the place we meet each morning.  Doesn't it just scream Adirondack?

We had some seriously rich Bible teaching today from Dr. John Barnett.  He pastors a church in Kalamazoo, MI.  I took notes like crazy.  Do you mind if I share some of it with you?  I hope not. You know I can't keep good stuff like this to myself.  Don't skip down for pics yet.  I promise you'll benefit.  THIS is why I try to get myself (and my family usually) here every summer.

The only people that will be in heaven will be God's servants (those who want to do the will of God). Also disciples - ones who are learners, followers, seeking to be like their Teacher.

How can we be sure we are going to hear, "Well, done good and faithful servant"?
By staying filled with the Spirit.

Seek God's control.  Surrender our daily life to God's control.

How do we stay controlled by God?
1. Stay filled with the Spirit.  Eph. 5:18
2.  Don't grieve or quench the Spirit of God.  Eph. 4:30

What it means to grieve or quench the Holy Spirit
Grieve - (to cause God) to be sad, heavy sorrowful, distressed
Quench - to extinguish, stifle, retard, choke (His work in me)

That gave me enough to think about right there.

How does one grieve the Holy Spirit?
  • falsehood - telling any lies
  • anger
  • occult - giving Satan an open door in your life (ex. movies, video games, books that you allow in)
  • theft
  • slander - rotten talk, coarse talk, a sharp tongue that cuts others up
  • bitterness - not accepting what's come into your life as (ultimately) for your good
Signs that we are not filled by the Holy Spirit and are therefore grieving and quenching Him  (consider them symptoms)

1.  We dry up inside.  We should have streams of life giving water (comes from the filling) gushing out of us (John 7:37,38)
2.  We get bound back into old sins (Rom 8:13)
3.  We get distant from God, can't feel His presence (Rom 8:14-17)
4.  The fire goes out on the altar of our heart (1 Cor 6:19,20)  Everything we do should be a constant offering of fragrant worship to God.
5.  We begin to feel lost (2 Cor 10:20-22)
6.  Our words begin to kill (2 Cor 3:5-6)  We can even use God's Word harshly
7.  We start to wander (Gal 5:18)
8.  We get fruitless (Gal 5:22)
9.  We get fearful and defeated (Eph 6:17)  The Sword of the Spirit doesn't work if the Spirit is grieved.
10. God's Word makes no sense (1 John 2:27)

Do any of those describe you, friend?  No worries, it's happened to all of us.  Here's the good news:  How to get back on track/ heal your relationship with the Holy Spirit

1.  Respond by repenting.
2.  It's always one step back to God no matter how many steps away we are.  Can I get an AMEN?!
3.  Resurrender to His will again.
4.  Ask to be refilled.
5.  Start going through life again singing "Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me.  Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me."   

We sang it at the end of the message.  It was so beautiful. 

I don't know what you're thinking, but that's good stuff.  There's always a way back to God and it's only one step away.  Let's be intentional about being filled with the Spirit daily and become much more sensitive about grieving and quenching the Holy Spirit daily.  With His filling, we don't have to do it anymore.  It really is that simple. I'm in, are you?

I called Scott this afternoon and told him how much I enjoyed this message.  I told him it was in the way this pastor delivered it.  You can see it's a very confrontational and possibly uncomfortable, convicting message but he spoke it with humility, gentleness, kindness and care for each one listening.

I wondered if this is the way Jesus preached.  I can't wait to hear him again tomorrow. 

Next, the girls packed up their things and moved out of the cabin!  It looks so empty now.  We travelled down to Lake George so we could go to a foo foo girly lunch place that I know of, complete with a gift shop. 

They sold lots of yummy goodies too like these:
They reminded me of my friend who describes many things with the word "wicked".  Jojo bought a few and gave me one.  It was wicked delicious.
Wicked rich.
Wicked smooth.

Wicked satisfying.  Kind of like today was.

Tomorrow will be another adventure.  Going on a road trip about another 90 minutes deep into the Adirondacks to visit one of my all time favorite people.  I'll tell you all about it. 

No comments: