Friday, August 16, 2013

The Best Day

I don't see her very often.  We've always lived in different towns.  We've always gone to different churches.  We are from different generations.  I consider her a mentor, but call her a friend. I love every single minute I get to spend with her though they are few and far too far between.

About ten years or so ago we were both knee deep in the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) ministry. Though we were both from the Syracuse area and had heard about each other, we hadn't met yet. Until we were in Kansas City (we think) for a MOPS Convention.  A mutual friend introduced us.  I liked her.  She seemed nice enough.

At the end of the weekend in the airport headed home, I saw her sitting nearby and figured she'd be on my flight.  I was too insecure to approach her being certain she'd already forgotten who I was.  We boarded the plane but soon got off when our flight was cancelled.  She saw me as we re-entered the terminal and like a Mom said, "Come with me, let's get on another flight."  I gladly followed.  It's at times like this in travel that I need an assistant.

Once she got us booked on another flight and having a few hours to kill, she said, "Let's go get some lunch."  We ordered (she treated) and she looked across the table straight into my eyes and said, "Now tell me all about your life."  I was instantly at ease and did just that.  I told her everything I could think of.  I was kind of mortified later, fearing she must have been thinking "TMI", but she never let on.

I like the way she tells it, "Instantly we fell in love."  Yes.  I certainly did.  Since then, we snatch small snippets of time together when we can and occasionally share emails.  She doesn't text....yet.  We've had the glorious privilege of doing some ministry together like speaking to a MOPS group in tandem covering the younger woman/older woman theme.

All these years she's been like a cheerleader to me.  Recognizing my gifts, affirming me and encouraging me to get out there and serve the Lord with confidence.  She tells countless stories of the Lord's faithfulness to her, her family and others to motivate.  She knows the Word and shares it enthusiastically because she believes it and lives it.

She takes an interest in my family.  She adores my husband (her words), always sending love to him whenever we meet.  She asks about the kids and answers my endless questions on how to raise them to love the Lord.  She celebrates all my achievements and accomplishments.  She gives sound advice and counsel. She makes me feel important and loved.

And this last year, she carried my burdens.  She prayed for me.  She checked on me.  She continually pointed me to the One who heals broken hearts.  She exudes the love of Christ and is the godliest of women.

She goes away every summer to her cottage in the Adirondacks so we always say, 'Let's get together in the Fall'.  But when she checked on me last week, I sheepishly but hopefully asked, "Where exactly are you in relation to Word of Life?"  She picked up immediately on what I was going to suggest.  We made plans that I would come see her for an afternoon this week.

Today was the day.  I was excited all week knowing besides bringing Ben home on Saturday that this would be the highlight day.  It certainly was.

I drove about 90 minutes further into the beautiful Adirondacks and didn't get lost!  Without Scott, that's a pretty big deal.  I can't begin to describe the scenery.  So I'll show you. One lake after another.  Mountains everywhere. 

 Soon I pulled into her place.  Have you ever dreamed of having a cabin or cottage on a lake?  I have.  And now I've seen it with my own eyes.  She came outside to greet me (with her overeager dog) and said, "I'm so sorry the weather is so cold, but I've built you a fire." She built me a fire?  Can you picture my facial expression?

I walked in to this totally rustic, log cabin decorated Adirondack-style with a gorgeous stone fireplace crackling away and immediately thought, "I never want to leave. How long can I stay?" She told me to sit anywhere.  This was my choice.  Could it be?  A red and green plaid couch...was this heaven?

We had lunch and gabbed nonstop while she'd occasionally add another log to the fire. We talked about everything.  Our husbands, her kids and grandkids, my kids, summer activity here at the cottage, how Scott and I are doing.  We talked about weddings and my upcoming role as a mother-in-law and I got her best advice on how to be good at it.  Then we talked about sermons and books and the Bible, and all the things God has been teaching us since our last visit. We laughed.  We praised God for His goodness to us.  We never ran out of subjects.  I could have sat here forever.







But we decided it was time to stretch our legs and she showed me around their property.  Here are some views from the deck and dock. 

 I mean, have you ever?

It was too chilly and windy to sit outside so we went back in to the fire and had a snack.  Just when I thought it couldn't have been a more lovely day and right before I left to hurry back and bring Ben dinner, she said, "Oh, I want to read you something."  You see, she's been reading the Psalms and wanted me to hear the ones that brought me to her mind as she was reading.

Never a more beautiful site.  I melted.  God has blessed me with a most special friend.  I loved seeing her in her place today.  And what could be more special and meaningful than to have an older woman you hope to be like someday read God's Words to you?  Gifts from God all day long. 

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.  Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled adn pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands so that  no one will malign the word of God."   

Titus 2:3-5  In the flesh.

It was the best day.
And it completes my first list of 10,000 gifts. 

No comments: