Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Warm Welcome and a New Friend

I was invited to lunch the other day by a lovely lady I just met. She told me that since seeing and hearing me on the stage at church back in October she hoped we could become friends.  She took me to a very girly restaurant where we ordered chicken salad and iced tea and later browsed through an attached gift shop.  

She shared some of her story with me as I ate.  I was so touched by her honesty and openness.  She's lived a long life with its fair share of both joy and heartache.  My hurt heart as I felt the pain of some of her experiences.  She certainly deserves the title a "wounded woman", but remarkably doesn't carry herself as a victim.  Instead, she's completely focused on serving others.  I mean, talk about a life chock full of other-centeredness.  She loves the Lord and the church with all of her heart.  Her home and calendar are open to those in need.  And here she is reaching out to me.  I felt undeserving but at the same time delighted that she noticed me and reached out to this new kid on the block.  I felt so comfortable with her that I actually thought, "If I'm ever sick, I want to go to her house, lay on her couch to just be near her and ask her to take care of me."  You know how when you're sick you just want your mom?  She's that kind of lady.

I don't think he's silly looking, I think he's cute! 
If our lunch date wasn't enough, in her kindness she presented me with a gift.  She said, "I know he's silly looking, but consider him like a prayer shawl.  Since the day I saw you, I began knitting him for you and prayed for you every day as I worked on him." (Sometimes it takes a fellow knitter to appreciate how much work and love went into a project like this). She went on to say that she knows transitions are hard for families, and that our teenagers especially were on her mind and in her prayers everyday.  EverydayFurthermore, she offered her husband and herself to be there for our kids in absence of family members.  In other words, if the kids have a band concert or sporting event, they want to come and show our kids support. Took my breath away.

If this sweet woman is so committed to me (someone she barely knows) and my family, how much more of herself must she give to those she loves?  I'm always on the lookout for an older woman who "gets it" and I found one!  One who in obedience to Christ is willingly and intentionally "teaching the younger women" (Titus 2:4-5).

She taught me a lot about Him that day at lunch. Things that I need to emulate.
  • Like how to live in your pain.  I mean, live fully in every moment in spite of your pain.  She didn't wait for God to remove it or reconcile the circumstances to her liking and then move forward with her purpose in life.  She just lives and brings joy to everyone she knows as she does.  How often am I paralyzed when pain comes into my life?
  • Like how to sacrifice her own comfort and independence to give to those who can't return the gesture. 
  • Like how to stand for what is right and true even if it results in loss.
  • Like how to naturally be so self-less that she notices people (who might be lonely) and reaches out an invitation to friendship.
  • Like how to find humor when life is hard. She is so funny and laughed a lot!
  • Like to be devoted to prayer on behalf of someone else.  Did I mention that she prayed for my family and for me EVERYDAY?
Once I start listing, I realize I could name even more.  For now, I think that's enough for me to chew on and thank God for.  In the meantime, my little prayer elephant is sitting in my office to remind me of my lovely new friend and why I do what I do.

2 comments:

Rose Casell said...

I want--oh, I long!--to be a woman of God like this!

Heather said...

LOVE every bit of this. My heart smiles when I can picture you being loved on and then pouring all that love out to the new woman in your life. I really like that Elephant, he needs a name.