Friday, February 24, 2012

One Step at a Time

I wonder if there's anyone out there who is discouraged.  Are you facing something scary?   Have you committed to something that looked small at first but now seems like a giant that you're becoming convinced you can't conquer?  Are you in over your head?  Have you attempted something BIG for God but are having second thoughts?  Do you feel like you're swimming in the deep end?  Has He asked you to do something you know you need to do and even want to do (like forgiving someone) but it seems too big a task and you find yourself unsure you're up to it?  If so, this post is for you.

I read this today from Sarah Young*.  It's written as if Jesus was speaking straight to you.

"Follow Me one step at a time. That is all I require of you.  In fact, that is the only way to move through this space/time world.  You see huge mountains looming, and you start wondering how you're going to scale those heights.  Meanwhile, because you're not looking where you're going, you stumble on the easy path where I am leading you now.  As I help you get back on your feet, you tell Me how worried you are about the cliffs up ahead.  But you don't know what will happen today, much less tomorrow.  Our path may take an abrupt turn, leading you away from those mountains.  There may be an easier way up the mountains than is visible from this distance.  If I do lead you up the cliffs, I will equip you thoroughly for that strenuous climb.  I will even give My angels charge over you, to preserve you in all your ways. (Ps. 91:11,12)  Keep your mind on the present journey, enjoying My Presence.  Walk by faith, not  by sight, (2 Cor. 5:7) trusting Me to open up the way before you."

I needed that today.  The phrase that really gets me is "because you're not looking where you're going, you stumble on the easy path where I am leading you now." I don't want to be like the person described in James 1 - undecided, tossed to and fro in the wind.   If you're like me, sometimes you are looking too far ahead to see the wonder of what's right before you.  I love the promise that even if that road becomes steep, He will equip us thoroughly for the strenuous climb.  So, let's not borrow trouble for tomorrow, or next week, or years from now.  We don't know the future.  But we know Who does.  And He is both trustworthy and our  help no matter what may come.

So, take heart if you're discouraged.  Enjoy God's Presence TODAY.  Don't miss the blessings He has for you right now.  And imagine reaching the end of this destination you're worried about, or the top of the mountain, and hearing Him say, "I knew you'd make it.  You had it in you (Christ in you) all the time."  Don't give up!

*40 Days with Jesus by Sarah Young

2 comments:

Michelle Huizinga said...

I enjoy reading your bloggs. It gives me a window into your heart~ and challenges mine! Thank you.
We have a plaque in our home (on our front porch table) that says, "faith is not knowing the future, but knowing who holds the future." I hold dear to God's promise in Jeremiah 29:11. For much of what I wrestle with is less "what does the Lord want me to do?~more "am I willing to do it?" In one of Henry Blackaby books he writes: "..you cannot continue life as usual or stay where you are and go with God at the same time." As PJim is teaching out of the book of James,faith and action go together. Live Life! What I am most thankful of is that God always goes beyond what I could never do~when I am walking in His will,controlled by His Spirit.
My (our) story for His glory! If I do not show and tell, how will the world see,hear and come to know?? Jesus rocks my world!!

Michelle Huizinga said...

oopps I got that wrong! "faith is not knowing what the future holds, but knowing who holds the futher".