Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Review and a Few Thoughts on So Long Insecurity

I love to read.  And I love to read a great book alongside a friend - so we can discuss.  This is a book I read a few years ago, but read it too quickly because it was a borrowed copy, and worse yet, I couldn't mark it up. With all the new changes in my life recently, I figured a refresher was in order so I bought 2 copies at Christmastime and gave one to a special young lady in my life.  We've been reading it "together" since.

This is a book I recommend for women of all ages.  After all, if we're honest, don't we all struggle with feelings of insecurity from time to time?  Or all the time?  Whether it's at home, at work, at church, in relationships or just when we look in the mirror.  I know I've struggled with it all my life and have had enough.  Well, here is the step-by-step guide that puts God's Word in the driver's seat on how to identify what lays behind our insecurities and how He wants us to be overcomers and live in the security He provides - daily.  It might be the right selection for you to read with a girlfriend or group of friends. 

Here are a few favorite quotes - see if they resonate with you:
  • "God's approval is a whole lot easier to get than man's."
  • "Much of what we fear is fueled by our imaginations."
  • "One way we can detect insecurity is by our knee-jerk reaction to any change in a relationship, particularly if we perceive that the focus has shifted away from us. The more easily threatened we are, the more insecure we are."
  • "The goal in our female relationships should be to encourage one another's security.  Not enable one another's insecurity.
  • "God wills for us to walk out the depth and breadth of our lives with dignity and security. Neither God nor you have anything to gain by your persistent insecurity."
  • "To find yourself, your true, secure self, you must lose yourself in something larger."
  • prayer "Help me to stop using a person as my mirror and start seeing myself as You alone see me."
I mentioned above that I bought a copy of this book for a special young lady in my life.  Emphasis: young. If she can lick this thing at her age - she'll have saved a lot of time and heartache and likely be closer to living her God-given destiny.  "Heaven knows how many people never fulfill their destinies simply because of their own insecurities."  This should not be! I'm sick of how our girls (me, leading the way) have grown up and never out of feeling less than someone else who may appear to be more talented, more gifted, more liked, etc.  How the simplest situation can throw us into a tailspin of wondering how worth it we are. Truly we will act like who we believe ourselves to be. I heard said once that we've allowed the enemy to come into the church, take our girls by the hand and show them how to live. 

Whether you are a mother or not Beth says, "the entire generation of adult women in any culture is systematically raising the next, whether they mean to be or not. Now get out there and show some wide-eyed little girls what a secure woman looks like."  Since I've been around the block a few times and am raising a daughter, I know that it's my job (and yours) to take up this challenge. (Titus2) After all, "We (Christ-followers), of all people on earth, possess the reason, the residence and the ongoing revelation to be, of all things, most secure."  Anyone want to join me?

*all quotes from So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore

1 comment:

Heather said...

"Truly we will act like who we believe ourselves to be."

Just sobbing.