Saturday, February 4, 2012

Community in the Bleachers

Reality is settling in (again).  One last goodbye is on the horizon.  It hit me the other night that I am really going to miss this group of people and their sons.

These are most of the parents of the Faith Heritage Saints Varsity Basketball Team.  We have been sitting in these bleachers together a few times a week since November, and some of us for many other seasons over the years. 

We've shared life together. We've sat on uncomfortable bleachers.  We've driven far distances to watch games (often in not-so-great weather).  We've eaten together.  We've carpooled. We've secretly celebrated snow days and no-practice days. We've sent text scoring updates to any parent who had to miss a game.We've listened to Whitney Houston sing the National Anthem countless times.  We've laughed together.  We've picked on each other. We've tolerated a certain someone who insisted on a group picture.  (The one who called me queer will not be named here).  We've called, texted and emailed.  We've prayed for these boys. We've prayed for each other.  We've stood by one another when life gets hard.  We've encouraged one another when needed.  We've hugged. We've cheered for each others' sons by name.  We've collectively gasped when one of them has gotten clobbered.  We've rejected the ref's calls on each others behalf.  We've celebrated their victories and commiserated their losses.  We've loved each others' sons. I think it's safe to say we've loved each other - or at least, extremely liked.  :)  I know it's true for me.

Because I typically have many words for any occasion, I have a few for each of you. Thank you for being a very large part of my family's lives.  All those things mentioned above, you've done them all for us.  I don't know if there's anything more meaningful than when someone loves and encourages your child.  You've all done that for ours.  Whether it's Ben, Drew or Ally - or all three.   They hear you calling their names from the stands and woohoo-ing them.  They remember the after-game encouragements and pats on the back whether its been a win or a loss. They think you're cool (especially if you feed them). You've made them feel special, important and even loved.  They love you too. Scott and I haven't missed any of these gestures and we thank God for every deposit you've made in their lives. This is the stuff that matters and it means a lot to us - all of us.

Maybe it means even more this year, because Ben won't be on the team next winter.  We always assumed that our final year as basketball parents would be Ben's senior year and that our guys would graduate together, but God has different plans.  It hits me heavier than I thought it would because I will miss each and every one of you.  You matter to us. God has used you - don't underestimate the depth of that.

Community can happen in  many different places, the church being my favorite.  But if Jesus is yours and you are His, then you know that His children are the church. It's not about a particular physical structure. This group of parents - attending a different church on Sundays- are "the church" at the games.  And I'd like to go out on a limb and say that we have been "doing church" together every sport season (we're just lacking a sermon and some songs!).  We're glad we got to be a part of it for 8 years. We are better for knowing you.

I speak for Scott too, when I say we will also miss your sons very much. Scott, especially because he coached many of them on JV. They are awesome boys - and they are fun to watch.  We will  pray for them and ask God to continue growing them into Godly young men.  Sometimes I wonder how long it will take for us to know the names and personalities of each boy on Ben's next team or how long it will take to sit comfortably with the other parents, know them by name and feel as we have with you, like we are in one of our living rooms together enjoying the game. Even if it doesn't, the memories we have of our time with you will be enough.  We will never forget you and hope we will stay in touch often!!  Some might say, 'It's just high school basketball.', but it means so much more to me.

"I thank my God every time I remember you."  Phil.1:3


1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh my heart. Even though I am not one of thee special people I loved reading this. So so bittersweet, my heart hurts a bit for you because the "goodby" has to sting, but I am very excited for your new also. xoxoxox big hugs my friend.