Wednesday, February 15, 2012

None of us lives to himself....Romans14:7

I'm reading through My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers this year.  I was struck this morning with our responsibility toward one another as Christians.  I know we aren't supposed to do life by ourselves but sometimes I wonder if I mostly apply that to asking for help/encouragement and offering the same in times of need. The notion that how I live, choices I make, etc. effect everyone in the body of Christ.  This should make me pay attention. Read these questions/statements from Chambers:
  • Has it ever dawned on you that you are responsible spiritually to God for other people?
  • If you allow physical selfishness, mental carelessness, moral insensitivity, or spiritual weakness, everyone in contact with you will suffer.
  • How many of us are willing to spend every bit of our nervous, mental, moral, and spiritual energy for Jesus Christ? (knowing it will benefit others as well as Him and me)
  • Am I willing to be of no value to this age or this life except for one purpose and one alone - to be used to disciple men and women to the Lord Jesus Christ?
  • My life of service to God is the way I say "thank you" to Him for His inexpressibly wonderful salvation.
Kind of takes the guesswork out of the question, "What is God's will for my life?".  And breathes new life into the phrase I've preached ad nauseum for the last 20 years "others first".  It's good to matter to others.  It's good to live on purpose for Christ knowing a brother or sister will benefit.  Note: perfection not required - that's why we have each other - to spur one another on to good works (Heb 10:24) ...and wise living!

*all bullet points from the above noted book minus italics

2 comments:

Heather said...

WOWZA! It's been a few years since I read My Utmost and that is a painfully good reminder.

mandie said...

I have not read this book yet....maybe its about time i do....thanks for sharing this...