Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dinner at the Rescue Mission

Last night I accompanied our boy's modified soccer team to serve dinner at the Rescue Mission. The coach, Mr. Murphy, wanted to add a service project on to the end of the season. I quickly offered to drive and attend - I didn't want to miss something this meaningful.

And it was. Our boys did everything from serve, clean tables, wash dishes, pull turkey off the bone and more. I was given the privilege of scooping and serving ice cream. It was no easy task to hold back the tears from time to time. Mostly when I let my mind wander to what their lives really are like.

It was a particularly cold day, too. The manager said they have record numbers for free dinner when the temps drop. My heart went out when I saw how many children came in. I do believe I have a new page to add to my prayer journal.

The experience also reminded me of a book I read this summer and loved - and highly recommend: "Same Kind of Different as Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. Don't hesitate to get this book and add it to your library.

I'm happy that our Sunday School class will be heading to the Mission again to serve and clean up dinner 2 days after Thanksgiving. All 3 of my kids will be there then. I pray God uses it to change us, make us more giving and appreciative.

No comments: