Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Dilemma

I know sometimes I can make a big deal out of something that should be small and today is no different. It's Wednesday and I lead a Bible study at church. But, Drew's got a sectional soccer game - heading toward championships. It's in the 1,000 islands (2 hours away). He hasn't played the last 2 games. So I didn't feel like I need to go if he's not going to play. Problem: he's starting tonight as striker (front line). Scott can't go because of his church responsibilities (it is his job). What's a mother to do?

I know 99% of my friends would say just go with your son. As one other parent (and pastor, I might add) said "How many sectional games do you think Drew's going to play in? This is a no brainer - get yourself replaced." If they win tonight - they play Friday and I won't be able to go to that because I'll be away this weekend.

But there's that one percent I think I'm worried about. The one who will judge me. Who will think I've sold my soul to the god of sports because I'm missing Wed. night church. Perhaps this comes down to the old struggle of being a people-pleaser.

We've tried hard not to raise our kids in a child-centered household, but I don't think putting my boy first in this instance counts as child-centered. I think God would say - 'GO! Your kids need to know they (and their interests) are important to you.' This boy is out of the house in 1 and 1/2 years and I will probably lead Bible studies (Lord willing) for the rest of my life. Bottom line - it's a 20 minute discussion and the rest of the time we are watching a one hour video.

Or I could share a special moment with my boy, his friends and their parents. Seems so simple. That's it. I'm going. One friend's advice "Dress warm."

No comments: