Friday, November 15, 2013

Speaking of Thanksgiving.....I'm Making A Change

So here we are less than two weeks until Thanksgiving.  Lots of my facebook friends are posting something they are thankful for each day.  Gratitude is on everyone's mind...as it should be.

If you've been reading me for awhile you know I keep a daily list of things, people and experiences that bring me joy - that I'm thankful for.  I love doing it.

Lately though, a few things have happened that I want to write IN ALL CAPS, if you know what I mean.  Delightful gifts that take me by surprise and make me feel...well, happy.

For example:

Last weekend.  We went to Syracuse for the day and I was so thankful to have breakfast with one special friend and coffee later with another then dinner with some family.  These were planned events - ones I knew would "make the list".  But when I ran into another fun friend quite unexpectedly and we gushed love all over each other, I walked away thinking, "Jesus loves me".  Soon after, she sent me this message: "What a treat to see you and handsome Scott today!!  A surprise and a joy!"  She 'gets' these moments too.

Yesterday.  I had a 90 minute skype date with one of my favorite missionaries and former MOPS ministry partner from here in NY all the way to Senegal, West Africa.  It was a thrill to see her face and hear what God is doing in her life.  She encouraged me and spoke as only someone who has walked through deep waters with God can. "Yup, Jesus loves me".

Today.  I enjoyed breakfast with a friend who is kind, interesting, sweet and very funny.  We had a nice time together and our omelettes were delicious. Journal?  Definitely.

Then this...

I went to Panera to prepare for two upcoming speaking engagements.  I filled my cup and sat down by the fireplace.  I just happened to look out the window and there was our pastor from NSBC, right here in Binghamton.  I hurried to the door and he greeted me with a hug, like he always does.  I thought, "Jesus MUST love me."

He proceeded to fill his cup and join me for awhile. I loved it and wished Scott had been there to enjoy his company too. We caught up on things that matter. We talked about our families, ministry and missions.  

I miss him as boss and pastor.  I'm grateful he is a friend and mentor to both Scott and me. I would have inserted a picture here, but couldn't bring myself to say, "Can I take your picture for my blog?". 

There's something wonderful about having a rapport that lasts even when life takes you to separate places.  I'm thankful that he will still assume the role of our pastor though he isn't any longer.  How I hope you have a pastor who cares about you, is kind, trustworthy and makes you feel important.  It is a gift from God that He intends all His children to have.

After he left and my heart was full, I decided I'm going to rename my Gifts Journal.  It shall now be called "Jesus Loves Me Moments".

I wonder if somehow the daily discipline of recording gifts causes one to be more aware of extra special moments and more quickly respond in praise to the Giver Of All Gifts.

Are you making a list?  Why not give it a try?  It could lighten your heavy load and even change you...for the better.
You might find the deep joy you've always been looking for.
I dare you.  :)

No comments: