Monday, November 25, 2013

Ministry of Food Monday - Guest Chef for Thanksgiving

Good morning!  What a beautiful day to start planning that Thanksgiving menu.  Back when I started Ministry of Food Mondays I wanted to invite friends who have special recipes to share with us here.  Today is one of the days.

Since it is a special week you deserve a special recipe.
Meet my friend Mary Jo. She makes the most amazing stuffing.  I ate it years ago and haven't forgotten how good it is.  You should try it too. Here it is in her words.

Remember that smell of Thanksgiving morning?   The aroma of apple pie, turkey, sweet potatoes and of course stuffing!  I never liked my mom's stuffing when I was a kid even though I loved the smell,  but as I got older it became my favorite part of the Thanksgiving feast.

This yummy, simple, savory and crispy recipe is the original way my mom made it .  The only thing I added over the years is fresh herbs. Rosemary, sage and thyme.  While I love her stuffing, I only make it on Thanksgiving. It is not for the health conscious folk as it has 1 1/2 lbs of butter in it... yes, I said 1 1/2 lb of butter !

1 AND 1/2 lb butter
2 loaves white bread
4 stalks celery
3 med onions
2-3 cups turkey stock or chicken stock ( can you use more if it seems dry)
Several stalks each of the following fresh herbs
Rosemary
Sage
Thyme
Bells Poultry Seasoning 3-4 Tablespoons
Salt & Pepper

Toast all the bread and break into medium sized pieces set in the largest bowl you have .
In a large saute pan melt down butter. Dice onion and celery, add to melted butter
add fresh cut herbs (I snip the sage in a bowl with scissors). Add Bells Seasoning , let it simmer on
low for 10 minutes to meld all the flavors together.

Mix well into the dry toast.

Transfer to a 9x13 baking pan, Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. 
Remove foil and bake 10 minutes longer to get a crispy top layer.... yum!

I love making things my mother made, She was quite a cook!  This has been a family favorite for three generations now.  Sometimes I make a second batch with apples or sausage but it never is quite as popular as the original one.  I am Thankful to have a time tested recipe that brings back fond memories of Thanksgiving.   Enjoy !





No comments: