Monday, November 25, 2013

She's Making A List....

A list?  Oh no, not one list of course.  Many lists!  I love lists.  Lists are my life.  In this new season where I forget pretty much everything the minute I leave the room or turn the page or have a new thought, I NEED lists.

Did I mention it's my favorite week of the year?  Did I mention the boys are coming home for Thanksgiving? So that's what I've been doing this morning, making lists.

Menu for the week.  Check!
Groceries needed to prepare what's on the menu.  Check!
Tasks to complete (like switching the kids' sheets to flannel).  Working on it.

One of the fun things about being a Burtis is that I not only make lists for myself (see above), but I like to include our whole family in the fun.  I guarantee they totally dig it.  Don't believe me?  Well.  I may be exaggerating slightly.  I know you're thinking what lucky kids and husband.  I think so too.

Either way, they say if you don't set goals you won't reach them.  Maybe it's true about lists too.  What are the chances of anything getting done if you don't write it down with the expectation it will be read - and acted upon?

Not taking any chances here.  And to be honest, there are certain things that are just done better by those gifted in specialty areas.  For example...






I need Drew to set the timer on my coffeepot.  It's been disabled since the last power outage - or when I moved it to a new spot on the counter.  Why can't we do it?  Well let's just say it's an older model and words like "set", "auto timer", and "up and down" have worn off.  Drew is the only one who remembers how to do it without them.  He is awesome.





Then there's Ben.  He is the expert at putting a new screen saver on my phone - with no bubbles or scratches.  Hurry home...it's a mess!

He's also king of the ice cubes - carefully emptying, refilling and placing back in the freezer.  Ally doesn't do it quite as precisely and without making a mess that mysteriously doesn't get wiped up.
See how he stacks them neatly?
Notice that the top 2 are empty and crooked.  She only takes out what we need and doesn't refill.
It's been rough since he left in September. We need him.

Speaking of Ally, she will be busy cleaning bathrooms - yes, plural.  It's her favorite.  Or is smiling her favorite?  I can't remember but I think cleaning bathrooms makes her smile.  She leaves them smelling so good.  She's terrific.

Finally, a DRUM ROLL please for my personal favorite task that I need the boys for....changing the shower curtain liners at the same time as putting up the holiday shower curtains.  This ain't no job for wimps.  You've got to keep your arms in the air a long time.  Since they are strapping (albeit skinny) young men - they own this job.
Yes I change the shower curtains for the winter season...doesn't everyone?

Oh I can't wait until the boys get here.  For so many reasons.

Did you think I forgot about Scott?  He wishes I did, I think.  But have no fear - I NEVER DO.  Much to his credit, he is way ahead on his to-do lists.  He's been faithfully tending to every little thing I dream up for him pretty much on a daily basis. 

Like this morning.  He got up to take Ally to school at 7:15.  I casually mentioned that I think the leaf sucking truck is in the neighborhood.  Back story - I get a little nutty about the leaves and about the day they come and get them.  I get happy.  I've been known to run outside with a rake to make sure they take every last one and/or bring the men out a homemade goodie (if I have any). I like a clean yard (slate) for the snow to fall on.  I think that's normal.  Isn't it?

You should know that most of the leaves are already in the street (I even helped rake once) but it's those pesky 1 or 200 that are lurking in the driveway that bother me.

So I innocently asked, "Do we have a push broom?  That might be the quickest way to clear them off."  (I swept them the other day with a normal broom - not fun or efficient.)  I hope you are noticing how much I help.

I think I heard him mutter something under his breath like "Sure, and you can go out there and do it. It's 14 degrees outside." To which I replied, "But I'm in my jammies here with a hot cup in my hands. You are going out there anyway."  Then I may or may not have smiled and batted my eyelashes.

There was eye contact.  Then they walked out.  Upon his return I heard the garage door go up and the leaf blower turn on.  Capital idea!  Even better than sweeping.  Look at that! Nearly perfect.  Those stragglers don't bother me - too much.
Scott Burtis is a saint. He is such a good husband and has proved once again that he deserves a much better wife.  I try to be appreciative.  I did greet him at the door with a hot cup of coffee of his own. He sort of smiled when he took it.

Happy Thanksgiving Week everyone - hope you get everything done on your lists too!

No comments: