Monday, March 26, 2012

Things That Make Me Happy....White Trim and a Freshly Painted Room

Good morning friends!  I thought I'd begin a new "segment" here on the blog that I have a feeling I'll revisit from time to time....Things That Make Me Happy. 

When we moved into our new house we didn't realize how poorly many of the rooms had been painted - or maybe just how long ago they had.  Hiding behind the furniture was chipped paint, glops dried on the wall and other offenses.  Well, we finally got around to painting some of the bedrooms.  Probably because my slave, uh, I mean, son was home from college this week.  He's a good worker :)  So, this will mostly be a pictorial post today.  Hope you  like!

First, a little quirky thing you should know about me - one of my favorite things - white trim and molding.  It makes me happy.  It makes me think clean thoughts.  So you'll be able to see right away why I didn't spend much time in these rooms. Let's start with our room. The color of this room was so dingy and dark.  Depressing kind of with shades that blocked most of the light.  I never wanted to be in there - except to sleep.

YUCK - icky brown - notice the window trim

This is a bit of a departure for me, but I chose it because it's a happy color!

note the chipped paint and AWFUL brown molding...I hate brown molding
WHITE!  and lots of sanding
ewww....brown switchplates too
aaaahhhhh....so clean looking!
note the windows...not only dark brown trim, but heavy brown shades - that didn't come up!
This is my favorite!  White White White!  and the light shines through...happiness!



Now the WORST OFFENDER......our girl's room:
Can you believe these colors?  Dark orange, dark brown trim...YUCK!

WHITE windows and closet doors.  Now we all want to be in here!


Totally gross.  Depressing!
Beautiful!  Did you notice the trim...WHITE!  Clean!
Did I mention that the outlets and switches were painted over too?  We are starting to think an unsupervised child painted this room. I'd like to give a HUGE thank you to my husband who changed all the switches and outlets in both rooms to....you guessed it...white ones!  I'm practically giddy over it.  Yeah, I admit it...I've got issues.  I guess I just like change.  I love seeing order come to chaos and beauty from grossness.  I don't know if that's a word.  And my favorite...darkness to light.  Who wants to be in a dark, gloomy room when you can see light come streaming through?

These are overriding themes of the Bible.  Did you notice?  Jesus is into transformation.  He wants to transform our messiness into beauty.  And He can.  He will take our dirty sin and make our hearts white as snow.   He wants to bring light into our darkness.  And He can.  Don't try to keep anything hidden from Him.  It's not good for you anyway.  I realize life can be messy.  That's unavoidable.  But we can also experience an unblemished, clean, orderly life that shines light on everyone we meet.  This is what God wants for us and offers to each believer.  Why not invite some transformation into your life?  Or at the very least, your home, so it will remind you of what Jesus has done in your life.    You might be surprised at how much joy you experience. 

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Such a bright change!! Love white trim too!!

Andrea said...

Such a bright change!! Love white trim too!!