Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Spirit vs. the Flesh - Who's Winning?

Ever feel like you're at war within yourself?  I've been feeling it these past few days in particular.  I know it's a spiritual battle.  But how I fight or position myself for victory is the real question.  These are some things I've realized about myself:

When the Spirit is in charge...this is what you see in my life:
  • love, forgiveness, faith, selflessness, humility, self-control, kindness, purity
When the flesh is on top....this is what you see in my life:
  • pride, resentment, fear, self-centeredness, bitterness, indulgence, arrogance, jealousy
Don't skip over that too quickly.  It's such a simple litmus test as to whether or not we are walking in the Spirit.  There are three parts of me that are duking it out.  My spirit, soul and body are always active - but which one is in control?

Spirit
  • Our inmost part
  • God centered essence where Christ abides
  • Only can be given/awakened by God
  • God connects w/my spirit 
Soul
  • Where my feelings camp out
  • Conscience, emotions, personality and will
  • Can be transformed by the renewing of my mind 
Body
  • Where spirit and soul reside
  • Physical state, no mind of its own
  • God does not connect with my flesh
In order to walk in the Spirit (exhibiting fruits), we need to put Him in the leadership role and let our feelings (soul) provide the joy, laughter and sense of calm that accompanies a life lived by God's plan.  When the flesh starts screaming "Give me what I want!", my spirit must tell the flesh to "Sit down. You don't get everything you want.  I'm in charge here!"

"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature."  Gal. 5:16

*Whether we are on the path toward victory or defeat is determined by the very next choice we make."*  I for one am sick of defeat.  I want victory.  I want the spirit to win over the flesh more often than it does.  This verse always motivates me:  "Everything is permissible for me, but  not everything is beneficial.  I will not be mastered by anything."  1 Cor. 6:12  Do you know how many areas of our lives that should speak to?  Give it some thought as you consider the fruits listed in the beginning of this post.  And then ask yourself some questions...Which ones are being seen in your life?  Who's winning your war?  The Spirit or the flesh?  What will your next choice lead you toward?

Let's get on that road to victory together and give hope to others!  "Since we have these promises, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God."  2 Cor. 7:1

*Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh so good! Yes that about sums it up! Thank you for sharing your heart!

Heather said...

All I can say right now is, thank you. Oh and Gal. 5:16 is about to be plastered all over the house.

kathleen b. said...

YES, YES and YES! That is something God has been teaching me too - how we need to win over the flesh in all areas, not just over food. He keeps leading me to holiness over other areas of my life. Praise HIM!