Monday, March 5, 2012

Sacred Echoes

I always know that God is trying to say something to me when it comes at me in several different ways, at different times.  Margaret Feinberg calls it the sacred echo.  "The moments when God speaks the same message to my heart again and again.  It's when throughout relationships, daily life, and study the same scripturally sound idea or phrase or word will keep reappearing until I can no longer avoid its presence."*

Tonight in the communion service, we were considering the suffering that Jesus endured on the cross on our behalf.  Scott talked about how we tend to try and avoid all suffering in our lives.  We would like our path to be void of pain.  Often we even pray that way.  Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with that and pray similar prayers often - especially on behalf of my family, emphasis on our kids but could we be missing something?

Just before the service and just after, and also this morning, and most every time we go into our new church, someone sweetly tells me that they are praying for our kids and their transition to a new school.  It's really overwhelming and I'm so thankful for it.  No wonder the transition has been smooth so far. (I should mention here, too, that I know lots of our Syracuse friends are praying for the kids too and we are equally grateful.)

Soon I had a flashback in my mind of a report by one of my favorite missionary's some years ago.  She told of the persecution of Christians in many parts of the world.  I'll never forget when she said, "They don't want you to pray for the persecution/suffering to stop, but rather that they will have the strength to endure and glorify God through it."  Wow.  That blew me away.  Which would my prayer be for myself....or my kids?

What I've been told and what I think others are praying for our kids is that they can handle transitioning from a small private Christian school to a larger, public school.  We pray that they will make the "right" friends.  I pray that the enemy will protect them from any who might draw them away from their faith.  That they will be the influencers, not the influenced.  I pray that they will stand out and live differently, in a contagious kind of way that will give them the opportunity to share Christ...and that they will. And that their mother will not be a woman ruled by fear and worry.

But as I take the bread and the wine, thoughts collide.  I think of what Paul teaches in Phil. 3:10, "I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death..."

And Timothy in 2 Tim. 1:8, "So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner.  But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God."

And Paul in Romans 8:17, "Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in His glory....because our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."

I consider in observing the Lord's Supper, that we are celebrating Christ's suffering on our behalf and the privilege it is to take up our own suffering (that He chooses - we certainly don't go out and look for it!) on His behalf - so that His Glory will be revealed in us.  What an awesome thought that through suffering we share in His glory and we can know Him...and become like Him.  So, why pray that He will omit all suffering from our lives?  Why not pray that He will help us stand up under it?  Endure?

I believe I'll be adding a little more to my protective mama bear prayers in the morning...and every morning following.

*from The Sacred Echo by Margaret Feinberg

No comments: