Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Goodbye Thanksgiving...Hello Christmas

And poof!  It was over just like that.  This morning I sit in a very quiet house.  Both boys have gone back to college and Ally is at school too.  Truly it was a glorious weekend and I have much to be thankful for.  Not the least of which is that the letdown after Thanksgiving is nothing like the end of December, because well, Christmas is coming and everyone will be home again Lord willing for an even longer amount of time.

First thing Friday morning, the house transformation began.  Ok ok...I did cheat a little the week before - like decorating my patio, which is in essence my dream front porch.  You've got to work with what you've got.
But I waited for most of it.  And yes, it did begin with MercyMe's Christmas Sessions blaring from the kitchen and yes, they each completed their special assignments.  Here's a snapshot.

We start  by putting all the Fall things away.  That's a job in itself.  It's not really a fun one so I tackle it before they get up.
To begin, I gave the boys two tedious jobs.  I don't do tedious.  I like to dream them up, but to execute I need help.  Scott is also very good at tedious and makes a lot of my ideas reality - like hanging garlands on every doorway inside and outside on the brick walls of our driveway.  It started back in the Fall when we decided to rip down all the vines.
So glad he put them up a few weeks ago when it was warm.  Because you never know when the snow is going to come and you want to be ready. See what I mean? Gorgeous!
Back inside.....
Ben's job was a Pinterest idea.  He tied fishing line to about 30 small ornaments and then hung them in the kitchen window at various lengths.  He said his fingers were too big, but look at how festive it looks.  Just like the picture.  I love it.
Then Drew tackled our village.  We haven't unpacked this in a few years.  He made sure they all had lights that work and the cords were hidden.  Tedious. 
The end product is perfect.  I'm sure it will be up all winter.
I'd like to live there.
Then Drew and Ally unpacked and set up my ever-growing, much loved Nativity collection.
This was my grandfather's.  It is so old and fragile.  My favorite.
Here are a few more.  Two from Kenya, one from Peru, one from Costa Rica (courteous of mission trips) and one from my women's ministry team at NSBC. 
Of course, the tree.  Well, the big one anyway.  Drew had wanted me to teach Brittany how I put the lights on but since she wasn't with us I taught him.  It's a marriage-building exercise.  We put on all 1,100 together.  I think he'll make a good husband even though I'm sure he rolled his eyes at least 1,100 times.
A very satisfying moment came when we pulled out the ornament box.  Last January (or was it February?) when I packed these up, for the first time I separated the ornaments.  Everyone had their own bag since they each receive one every year.  Best part was when Ally said, "Why do the boys have so many more than me?"  Um.  "They've been alive longer."  "Oh yeah."

It isn't easy being Ally.

And watching them do this never gets old.
I especially love that it is no longer necessary for me to rearrange and spread them out after they go to bed anymore.  Young mothers - this day will come!
It is finished!
I may or may not go a little crazy for trees.

This is another favorite space.
Come join me for a hot cup of whatever you like and a snack?

Collections seem to be a part of Christmas too.  Like these.
And these.
These are a few of the things I will grab if we ever have a fire.

It was a wonderful family and friend-filled weekend.  Some came for dinner.  Others stopped in for coffee and pie.  Others met us for Sunday lunch.  We also enjoyed many hours with nowhere to go and nothing to do but hang out with each other.  It was so happy.

We ended on Sunday with a trip to the Carrier Dome to watch Ally's high school football team win the State Championship for the 3rd year in a row.  We dug out all the blue and/or Spartan wear we had.  I must say, football is much more exciting when you're at the game.  And you know the players.  And your team wins with four seconds to go.  By one point. It goes a lot faster in person too.  Another bonus.
Oh before I let you get back to more important things - like your life, there's one more collection I want to mention.  This one.
Now that every room in our house has been transformed to celebrate the most wonderful time of the year, it is time to focus on our hearts.  Because that is the transformation that truly will make all this preparation worthwhile.

The baby Jesus came to save us, rescue us, change us and give us hope of life in and with Him not just 2,000 years ago, but also today.  I don't know about you, but I need a refresher course every December. 

So Merry Christmas to you and your family.  Happy Advent.  Do take the time to invite Jesus to show up in your Christmas and then as you expectantly wait for Him, keep your eyes wide open.  He never disappoints.

No comments: