Monday, October 7, 2013

Ministry of Food Monday

HI my friends.  I hope you had a wonderful weekend.  Here in the southern tier of New York it truly is beautiful outside, but I could do without the muggy conditions.  Early last week we thought it was safe to put our newly acquired portable air conditioner away for the winter.  I mean, it was October 1st.  Clearly it was too early.  I don't dig humidity in the summer, and definitely not this far into Fall.

My mother came for an overnight visit Saturday so I planned to make one of her favorite meals.  Since losing Dad, she doesn't cook much for herself - certainly not her favorite - roast beast.  So I found a recipe that promised to be foolproof and irresistible.  It's a crockpot recipe, too, for those of you who have requested these.

To Die For Crock Pot Roast
can't you just smell it?

1 (4 -5 lb) beef roast, any kind
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package brown gravy mix, dry
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dried Italian salad dressing mix
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package ranch dressing mix, dry
1/2 cup water

Cook on low for 7-9 hours.  

I confess I never make roasts because I'm usually afraid they will be dry and am not entirely confident I know what cut of meat to purchase.  But I faced my fears and gave it a try.  I went with a chuck roast and we were all happy with the results.  It was so tender I had to take it out in pieces. That's a good sign. Man, did the house smell good all day.

I added the veggies about half way through the cooking time. Just potatoes and carrots.  Because I'm Italian and can't seem to follow a recipe exactly.  I always tweak it just a little. 


Of course, I made rolls too.  If you missed that recipe, you can get it here.

This is Scott's plate.  His first plate.  He likes when Mom comes to visit.

I do too.

I also made one of her favorite fall treats for dessert.  This recipe is in the top 5 most requested from friends and family and always expected at Girlfriend Getaway Weekend.




Spice Cookies with Pumpkin Dip

*Read the recipe first as you have to refrigerate the cookie dough for awhile before baking and I never substitute the butter either.

1 1/2 c. butter  softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. molasses
4 cups flour
4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. EACH ground ginger and cloves
1 tsp. salt
additional sugar

Pumpkin Dip

1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 18 oz. can pumpkin
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 to 1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add molasses; mix well.  Combine flour, soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.; add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Chill overnight.  Shape into 1/2 in. balls; roll in sugar.  Bake at 375 for 6 min. or until edges begin to brown.  Cool for 2 min. before removing to wire rack.

For dip, beat cream cheese in a mixing bowl until smooth.  Add pumpkin pie mix; beat well.  Add sugar, cinnamon and ginger; beat until smooth.  Serve with cookies.  Store leftover dip in the fridge.  Yield:  About 20 doz. cookies and 3 cups dip.

You will make a TON of cookies.  I counted over 100 this time.  I tend to make them small.  This recipe goes a long way.  Hope you have lots of counter space.

No comments: