Monday, October 28, 2013

Ministry of Food Monday

Hey there!  You're back for another recipe, right?  I'm glad.  I have a few main dishes for you today.

A funny thing happened at the end of last week.  Knowing Ally would be at school for the evening, we invited some friends over at the last minute. Plans made.

Next thing I know, Ally informs me that she will be home for an early dinner and has invited three friends.  Hmmmmm.  What to do, what to do.

1.  Tell Ally no, her friends cannot come.
2.  Give them PB and J sandwiches.
3.  Try to reschedule with our friends.
4.  Have them both over and perform a magic act with 2 different menus and an hour between meals.

What's your bet?

Yup - why not have them both?  I made the kids a favorite standby and encouraged them to eat quickly.  I was given this recipe when we were first married.  It's a keeper.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Ham
1 box pasta, your choice
2-3 cups of cubed ham
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
2 c. milk
2 c. shredded cheddar
more cheese to taste - I add some parmesan just for fun
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to box directions.  Drain and put in 13x9 baking dish.  Ham goes on top of that.  In saucepan, melt butter.  Add flour and cook for about a minute.  Slowly add milk, whisking constantly.  The slower you add it, the better it thickens.  When thickened, remove from heat and add cheese.  Stir til melted. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour cheese over pasta and ham.

*If this were for Scott and I, I would also add sliced tomatoes and green onions a.k.a. gronions.  My kids prefer to skip the gronions and add french friend onions.  Both work.  Have fun with it.

Bake at 350 25 min or til bubbly.

The above picture is before baking.  I waited too long to get one after baking.  
PS - Because of the quantities in the cheese sauce, it's so easy to remember and to always have the ingredients on hand.  (1/4, 1/4, 2 and 2 - see what I mean?)

As for the adult meal, I decided on comfort foods for our friends knowing they probably had a busy work week and because it was a chilly night.  Chicken pot pie, mashed potatoes, green beans and rolls.

So, while the kids were eating, I threw the chicken pot pie together (having done all the chopping and peeling in advance) and peeled potatoes.  As soon as they finished, I rushed them out of the dining room and put all the dishes in the dishwasher - no sign of them.  Thank God for dishwashers.  I hadn't had one for 14 years before moving here.  I love that thing.

This pot pie is the Pioneer Woman's recipe.  It was easy to make and very good.  You should know I used a rotisserie chicken already prepared.  Cuts way down on prep time.

I also didn't use peas.  I hate peas.  Instead I had some cut up broccoli and cauliflower in my veggie drawer that I threw in.  My crust is not perfect on purpose because she gives you permission to let go of perfectionism and calls it "rustic looking".  Since I had hungry, loud teenagers in the house and was playing beat the clock - I grabbed right onto that philosophy.

I'm going to give you the link to the recipe here instead of typing it out.  Hope you don't mind.  Here it is:  Pioneer Woman's Chicken Pot Pie

As soon as this was in the oven we guided the kids to the living room and performed the switch-o, change-o.  New tablecloth, different dishes, quickly folded clean napkins and we were good to go. Surprisingly, it didn't even take me that long to calm myself down and enjoy our friends.
 Until we started playing cards that is - then it got a little crazy.
PS...I made (again) for dessert the chocolate gingerbread cake that I posted a few weeks ago.  A great Fall meal.

1 comment:

Aimee Ruediger said...

Thanks for the Mac and Cheese recipe. I tweaked it a little bit but I've made it twice since your post and it is a BIG hit. Looking forward to trying the pot pie recipe. LOVE Rhe Drummond!!!!