Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sweet 16

Birthdays have a way of reminding us that another year has passed.  Another year closer to our kids growing up and leaving the nest.  Another year we can't get back.  Stink.
Sixteen years ago today I gave birth to our, as my sister-in-law Chris described, "baby girl Scott".  Truly, she is a Burtis when it comes to looks - and that's not a bad thing.  She is a vanilla just like her Dad. That means just what you might think it does.  Last year on her birthday I wrote a post that included pics of her through the years - you can read that here if you missed it.
Sixteen feels like a milestone year.  Not really a little girl anymore, more like a young woman.  Still, she's my baby.  She hasn't tired of cuddling up with me or sitting on her Dad's lap.  She's eager to grow up, but exchanges some "baby talk" with us from time to time.  I think she has this notion to get her learner's permit soon.  Not sure if we're ready for that!  I'm thankful for much growth in her recently physically (she's taller than me), emotionally and spiritually.  I love her so much.

Girls are different than boys, it's no secret.  Ours is so much fun.  She laughs loud and she loves loud.  She doesn't think she's funny yet brings the party wherever she goes.  She's miles past her brothers when it comes to social skills.  She would ask a store clerk for help when she was 10 - the boys still struggle with that.  :)  And she cries at the most tender things.  She compliments me on my clothes (then borrows them), tells me often how much she loves me and will text me her cuteness all day if I keep it going.  I dig that.

Tonight she leaves for her first missions trip.  Who could've guessed back on March 28, 1997 that this is how she'd spend her 16th birthday?  Not me, but we wouldn't have it any other way. What a gift from God!  She will be in the Dominican Republic for 9 days serving, learning, growing.  Feel free to pray for her, her brother Ben, and the other 40 team members if you feel so inclined.  Their adventures and prayer requests will be posted on the team blog here.

I thank God everyday for giving us a girl to dress up pretty after five years of denim and blue.  I thank God for giving us this little girl.  Don't forget Ally, just like the poster on  your bedroom walls says, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord.  They are plans for good and not for evil to give you a future and a hope."  Jer. 29:11

And this too..."He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Phil. 1:6

Jesus loves you.  He is for you.  Daddy and I love you and we are for you.  No matter what.

3 comments:

Heather said...

ALLLLLLLYYYYYYY! I love you so much! You're my favorite, don't tell the boys ;)

JLigoci said...

Happy Birthday Ally....God has amazing plans for you!! Treasure all these beautiful words from your Mom...not all of our Angels watch from heaven....:+)

kathleenburch said...

It's been neat watching you grow up in church, Ally. I especially enjoyed watching you and your dad sing together a couple years back.
Nice tribute, Mom. Did you make that wild and crazy cake? I like it.