Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Turns Out I'm Not a Nag After All

Any of you friends out there ever been accused of being a nag?  Me either.

What?  You don't believe me?  Who've you been talking to?

OK, I'll admit I think maybe once or twice my husband and/or my kids have told me I have been given to reminding (excessive) from time to time.  But I really don't think it's my fault.  You see, I have a theory.  If they just do what I want, when I ask them to or by the time I ask them to....there's no need to nag.  Can I get an Amen?  Seems pretty straightforward to me.

As I read through the Bible this year, I have discovered something about God.  Nagging doesn't bother Him.  He calls it persistence.  And He's looking for it on the Earth.  Check out this passage:

Luke 18:1-8
The Story of the Persistent Widow

18 1-3 Jesus told them a story showing that it was necessary for them to pray consistently and never quit. He said, “There was once a judge in some city who never gave God a thought and cared nothing for people. A widow in that city kept after him: ‘My rights are being violated. Protect me!’
4-5 “He never gave her the time of day. But after this went on and on he said to himself, ‘I care nothing what God thinks, even less what people think. But because this widow won’t quit badgering me, I’d better do something and see that she gets justice—otherwise I’m going to end up beaten black-and-blue by her pounding.’”
6-8 Then the Master said, “Do you hear what that judge, corrupt as he is, is saying? So what makes you think God won’t step in and work justice for (rescue) his chosen people, who continue to cry out for help? Won’t he stick up for them? I assure you, he will. He will not drag his feet. But how much of that kind of persistent faith will the Son of Man find on the earth when he returns?”

I think the wicked judge would consider the widow a nag. She wouldn't quit.  She knew she was being violated and was done putting up with that!  She wanted to be treated fairly, at the very least, like a person created in God's image deserves to be treated.  (We all deserve that.)  She went to the highest authority she knew for rescue.

As I read these words, I thought of some friends of mine. Friends who are needing rescue.  Friends who may have grown weary of asking for help.  The promises in verses 6-8 excited me and I began praying these words and promises on their behalf and I secretly pledge to continue until they are free. Look at it again.

"So what makes you think God won’t step in and work justice for (rescue) his chosen people, who continue to cry out for help? Won’t he stick up for them? I assure you, he will. He will not drag his feet. But how much of that kind of persistent faith will the Son of Man find on the earth when he returns?"

Did you see it?  God says nagging is ok.  Can I go so far as to say He's looking for nags?  Ahem, those with persistent faith.  Those who don't stop asking when the answer doesn't seem to be on the horizon.  Jesus invites us to keep asking. 

1 Thess 5:16-18
"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 


You may not want to nag, and you might be tired of asking, but hear me say to you today - don't give up!  Jesus says to ask.  You've got permission to revisit the issue.  Often.   He says He's looking for 'that kind of persistent faith'.  He digs it.  It shows Him that we know who to turn to to meet our needs (faith).  He finds in our prayers that we trust Him more than man.  And He says He will step in and rescue His people, those who continue to cry out for help.  I've been that person many times.  Is it you right now?

If you need rescue from whatever is a violation to you, ask and keep asking.  Persistent faith is persistent believing.  (And it sounds so much better than nagging.) While you're asking, don't forget to give thanks in advance for your Rescuer who hears and is on the way!  

Bonus gift for reading this entire post-----a song for your ipod or go buy the CD.  This is A song that sums it all up and puts an exclamation point on it!  In case you don't remember my great appreciation for this band, you can read about it  here.

P.S. This was the opening song that night and it was AWESOME live!

No comments: