Tuesday, February 12, 2013

For All the Moms Out There Trying to Get it Right

To my fellow mom friends....

I'm thinking about you (us) today.  Have you noticed we are bombarded with messages, information and advice on how to do just about anything regarding parenting? When I was a young mom (or shall I say mom of young kids) I desperately sought parenting advice from as many sources as were available to me.  This is both good and bad.  Good when I come upon an idea that resonated and was relatively easy to put into practice but bad when I became paralyzed with too much information.  I think when this happens we typically implement few ideas and end up parenting  by the seat of our pants rather than being on the offense.

So, if you're in that camp I have a little encouragement for you today.  I came across just one little idea that should be relatively easy to make happen in our homes.

"The best thing you can do to love your kids is create a haven home where they are wildly enthusiastic about coming home every day." M. DeMuth

I just love that.  I know I love coming home at the end of a busy day but it may be for different reasons.  Not too many kids or teens are eager to hit the couch with a hot drink and a book.  But there are fun ways to make it a haven for them too.

I can testify that this works!  For example, sometimes the menu at our house can get sort of humdrum, same old same old if you know what I mean.  Recently I heard this from a college kid - that his mom's cooking is what makes him want to come home (often) and bring his friends.  So when I went grocery shopping yesterday, I ignored my dominating "mom's eating light so we are ALL eating light" tendencies and got some things that my kids love, things that scream 'home cooking comfort food' or as my husband would say 'I know my wife loves me' food.  After all, child #2 is going to leave home in a few months.  I need to draw him back occassionally.  I am not above bribery.

Try it and see.  Be creative.  It doesn't have to be about food.  It's the little things you know.  And take yourself off the hook from having to do everything right all the time.  (Preaching to myself here.)

Tonight's menu:  Fettuccine Alfredo and Grilled Chicken.  Maybe I'll even make my homemade rolls that they contend I only make for company.  I resent that!



No comments: