Monday, February 4, 2013

Is it cold in here or is it just me? One woman's pursuit of the perfect climate. Part 1


It's a beautiful cold winter day here today which makes me very thankful for heated buildings.  However, I can become preoccupied with the temperature in our home no matter what the season.  In the summer I like to have a cool house to escape the brutal humidity outside.  In the winter, a warm and comfy house is priority.  I was describing this to a friend once and he said, "So in essence you are always looking for the perfect climate."  Well, when you put it that way.....I sound a little spoiled.  Not cool.

The truth is, I think I've achieved it.  I can be going along in my daily activiites and suddenly think, "it's kind of cold in here" and immediately I hear the 'click' of the thermostat and boom, the heat comes on.  Same thing in the summer, "is it hot in here?" I might ask and immediately I hear 'click' and the air comes on.  I'm not exaggerating when I use the word immediately.  I am in tune with the climate in this house.  Maybe it's my super power. 

 As I was considering this, a deeper and much more meaningful thought came to mind.  Am I this in tune to my spiritual temperature/condition?  Is it possible to be that aware?   

Can I immediately sense when I’m not as close to Jesus as I had been moments before or in my quiet time that morning?  Are there any indicators that send off alarms within my spirit? 
  
If there are, how quickly do I tend to it?  As quickly as I adjust the thermostat in my home/car to ensure my ultimate comfort?

I asked God about it and knew He was leading me to His Word, the Bible, for the answer, which is yes, of course this is a spiritual issue.

I spent some time in the beatitudes, Matthew 5:4-6 and found three concepts that can be indicators to the temperature of my spiritual condition.  Three things to be constantly aware of and questions to frequently quiz myself with.  Here they are...check it out for yourself.

 
1.  "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”

 Are we talking here about mourning over a loss or death or could it be over our sin?

Does a siren go off in my heart when sin crosses the radar, every time I commit it?  Do I grieve over my sin?  Do I feel any sorrow or anguish for having displeased God?  Or do I brush it off as some little thing, expected because I can't be perfect.

One of my favorite missionaries (favorite because her life has had the most impact on who I want to be when I grow up), said once, “God will not wink at our sin.  He is holy and expects us to pursue holiness.  If you’re not aware of your sinful pettiness, you’re not on first base to getting close to Him.  We soften guilt to such a mush that it hardly exists unless we get caught."  That certainly packs a punch and is true.  I don't want to minimize my sin and how God feels about it.

I think it's important to regularly ask God what He sees down deep in our hearts and what's at the surface.  I regularly pray David’s prayer of “Search me, O God and know my heart.  See if there is any wicked way in me" and from a song, “search my soul with a fine toothed comb” and “show me if there’s any area in my life that displeases you, keeps me from your presence or isn’t under your authority”.  I even add, "don't let me get away with any little sins that could grow into big sins."

God orchestrates everything to bring us closer to Him. Even revealing the darkest parts of our inner being.  We need to not be afraid of this, but we do need to respond.  Part of growing in our faith is confessing our sins and agreeing with God at how offensive they are to Him and sometimes to others. 

This is not negative message or meant to inflict guilt.  Confession and forgiveness bring freedom – and that’s where we want to live, isn’t it?  This is a positive passage!  When we do this, He not only forgives (1John 1:9), but He comforts us and gives us a fresh start.  It pleases Him!  And we grow.  The verse says, blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted. Jesus brings the comfort WHEN we confess.  If you’re at war within yourself – perhaps there is something that’s gone unconfessed.

Indicator on thermometer:  How detailed and often are my confessions?  Do I just occasionally throw up a “forgive me of my sins” prayer?  Or do I spell out the offenses because they are equally grievous to me?  We can’t repent of something vague and unspecified.  In order to turn from it specifically, we have to name it.  

Then the promise from God, I will be comforted and blessed.  I want that.  Do you?  So thankful today for forgiveness.

To be continued.....2 more to come

No comments: