Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hammock Time

I hadn't written in a while about what I like to call important things.  I was a little preoccupied with Date and Diner week a bit ago and now we are in the middle of the dog days of summer...and it's been hot.  The truth is, though I am a lover of words, there are a few that I'm not too crazy about and in fact might be my three least favorite words:  hazy, hot and humid.  I can get grumpy when it drags on for days.  I should mention that in our old house, we enjoyed and were most grateful for central air conditioning.  We no longer experience this luxury.  I wonder if God wants to sweat some stuff out of us this summer.  :)  Anyway, that's probably why I haven't written much lately.

But yesterday afternoon, the sticky air left and refreshing cool air took it's place. Previously I had been invited to go out for the evening, to visit my kids at the conference they are attending and eat at one of my favorite restaurants while riding there and back with some fun friends.  Normally, that's a no-brainer, a done deal, a YES! Why wouldn't I?  But deep down I just wanted to stay home.  It would be the first night in a while that I'd be home alone (and not sweating to death).  I was determined to be outside enjoying it until  dark.  And I wanted to spend some time alone with God. Outside.  I was feeling kind of empty and longing and knew where I needed to go to fill up.

Here's a little visual for you - minus the men!
So I grabbed a bottle of water, my Bible and journal and headed to our hammock.  I don't know how to describe the experience for you except to say that when we seek God, He shows up.  The Bible promises that.  When I have been attempting to self-satisfy or self-comfort and remain unsatisfied and finally conclude that nothing is quite cutting it, I sense the gentle nudge of God.  When I change direction, everything changes.  When we deliberately take the time to focus all of our attention toward Him, He fills us.  He always knows what we need and provides it, because our deep down soul needs are always for Him.  I think we just forget sometimes.

Two hours later, as the sun went down and I actually got a little cold (loving every minute of that), I went inside....so full of joy and excited because my soul had been tended to.  I was given a fresh perspective. A new resolve to do what I'm called to do and be who I was created to be. 

Listen, the devil is alive and well and working overtime to get our focus off of God.  He wants to destroy us and diminish our testimony by tempting us to choose to live for self rather than living for God.  We need to recognize his negative, evil, dark tactics and pray for the ability to hear God's voice above all others (John 10:10) and act in confidence based on that.

In the hammock, I read these verses:

"Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides.  You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced out into the open and shows its true colors.  So don't try to get out of anything prematurely.  Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way."  James 1:2-4

AND Paul's prayer for the Philippians

"So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately.  You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush.  Live a lover's life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God."  Phil. 1:9-11

Girlfriends, I hope this gives you hope!  Even when it's not what we want to hear, God speaks goodness right to us in His Word.  You read that too fast - go back and read it slower.  Even when it's not what we want to hear, it is good.  It is for us.  God knows what we will go through before we do and allows it - because He has plans for us (Jer. 29:11).  Let's not self-medicate by running to our usual comforts (mine would be: food, shopping, flattery from those who love me unconditionally - what are yours?) but instead let's let God do the work of maturing us. Let's soak ourselves in His Word and be comforted by Him and in the meantime, live a life Jesus will be proud of.  (see verses above) Who can we make Jesus attractive to today?  Who can we get involved in the glory and praise of God with us?

Let's not allow Satan to paralyze us spiritually when the "heat" is on.  Rather, consider it a gift.  Will we receive and hoard all the good gifts God gives us, but refuse the not-so-good?  The answer needs to be NO!  Instead, we will give thanks because we know God is at work and He will keep working with us until He finishes His purposes (Phil. 1:6).  And He won't leave us during the process.  He will walk with us, go before us and hem us in from behind (Psalm 139). I love that and it gives me great comfort to picture this amount of God's presence and attention coming my way.  I hope you do too!

One last bit of good news...Fall is coming.  And then Winter.  Just sayin'.

No comments: