Wednesday, December 31, 2014

NEW


Happy New Year!  It's that time again....the last day of the year. Does that statement make you sigh with relief that it's almost over or sigh because you don't want to see it go?

I don't know about you but usually on New Year's Eve I scroll through my mind recalling the highlights I can remember from the last twelve months. We had a big year as a family for sure and I have a sneaking suspicion we will experience even more change in the next.

Whoever gave these kids permission to grow up? To graduate from high school and college? And then leave home? And then get married and move out forever?

Whoa...where did that come from?  I'm ok - guess I just had to get that off my chest.

In church on Sunday, my favorite pastor and husband Scott said something that made me scramble for a pencil and write it down.

"Our best years are not behind us. They are yet to come."

See how it makes you stop and think? When life is confusing or disappointing or frustrating or simply not looking like how you may have planned it, isn't it easy to glance backward and name certain past experiences as the best times of our life - not really expecting them to be topped?

Yeah, I groaned at that too. I don't want to go there, do you?  I believe what Scott said. I also believe God and what He says in His Word. He isn't done with us yet. He hasn't done His best work already, leaving us to coast the rest of the way. That's not His style.

'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'

For some of us that verse is familiar and one we see mostly on cute posters meant for children's rooms but it is for us bruised and weary grown ups too. There's more.

'I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt.'

I'm listening. Are you? Have you had a rough year? Lost your way? Encountered detours? You're in good company. So what do we do?

'I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place....Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.'*

Call to Him. Come to Him. Pray to Him. Seek Him with all your heart. He does the rest.

This is why I love January. Nothing like a brand new start to refocus my mind and heart. 2014 was probably the hardest year for my family and me personally, leaving several things unresolved.  I'm inclined to turn my back and say "Good riddance!  Hope I never see you again". But it wouldn't be fair or accurate to let the dark days overshadow the very, very good ones. We had many amazingly happy days as well. I bet you could say the same.

So armed with gratitude and lessons learned, I'm ready to turn my gaze toward 2015. I put on the shelf a giant list of gifts God lovingly gave last year and start a fresh page tomorrow.

I've also written down a few dreams for the coming year. Things I'm asking God for, as long as they land squarely in His will. Only God knows what is in store, but I choose to believe that whatever that may be will be for my good and His Glory. What a great combination.

I'm looking for new. God is all about new.

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for His compassions never fail,
they are new every morning. (Lam.3:22,23) 

'Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!'  (Is.43:18,19)

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
the old has gone, the new has come! (2 Cor. 5:17)

He put a new song in mouth. (Ps.40:3)

He has new for you too. Not only does He not mean for us to remain the same year after year, He also has life changes in store for us. Good ones. Exciting ones. Ones that will reveal more of how wonderful He is. We haven't experienced all of His goodness yet, not by far. Yes!

As my sons would say, "Get at it, Mom!". I'm planning on doing my part by seeking Him with all my heart, praying to Him because I know He's listening, and trusting that He has my hope and future safely in His hands. Join me?

And who knows...maybe 2015 will be the year we see the most amazing moment in history come true....
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth...I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God...He who was seated on the throne said, 'I am making everything new!' (Rev.21)

Now THAT would be a Happy New Year!
*Side note - those are just a few verses from some promise-packed chapters of just one book (Jeremiah 29,30). See why we need to read the Old Testament?

No comments: