Friday, January 3, 2014

A Little New Year Motivation

Happy New Year!  How are you holding up?  The post Christmas blues are knocking on my door, but I am fighting it.  I hope you had a wonderful month of holiday celebrating.  In light of the sadness from all the excitment and family time ending, I'm thankful for January.  It just screams "new".

I remember one year my sister-in-law told her mother (who told our MOPS group) that looking at the Target ad right after Christmas made her feel fat and unorganized.  The whole flier highlighted fitness equipment, workout outfits, dvds, and items to organize your home.  I can see how she came to that conclusion.

By nature, I am a goal setter which makes the beginning of a new year a clean slate to make some changes.  However, I know it can be also be a recipe for failure as sometimes these goals may not be realistic or attainable or are too self-focused.

Of course, we are not perfect and don't have the skills to earn perfection in any area.  Still, I think we should set some that are attainable and reasonable and require some effort that will be helpful to us.

You know what they say, "if you don't set any goals, you'll hit them every time."  I love looking back on the year passed and seeing some success as long as it grows me into a better, less selfish, more mature person and/or helps others.

At some point I think at the top of most women's lists of resolutions for the new year is to lose weight and become healthier.  I am almost always among them.  Quite frankly, I'm sick of it.  Tired of self-loathing because I don't look a certain way or am not "in shape" as some define it. 

Whenever I  take the time to think about what role exercise and diet should play in my life and begin rearranging accordingly, the Holy Spirit reminds of the following verse.

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, 
holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."  1 Tim 4:8

Of course, exercise and a healthy diet have some value to us for our well being, but....  (don't forget the 'but')  ...godliness has value for all things - now and for eternity.  Well, that gets my attention. 

One of my favorite themes our former pastor preached for an entire year was "Obsessed with God".  Being obsessed with God means God (and His character and expectations) permeates and changes every area of our lives - not just selected ones.

To apply it to this area of physical health, I think it's like any other thing that's going to gobble up my time and energy - I consider some questions.   
  • Whatever I'm doing - does it have anything to do with what God wants for me? (See Col. 3:17 at bottom)
  • How much of my time will it take?
  • What in my life will have to go in order to make room?  
  • Will this help me grow spiritually or distract me from becoming more Christlike?  
  • Perhaps, the most powerful question - Am I pursuing God as hard as I am pursuing _____________? 

You fill in the blank.  A smaller dress size, a more impressive fitness success, career advancement, approval of others (ouch)?  The possiblilities (or should I say possible distractions) are endless.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten what the verse says, most of those do have some value that will benefit us.  I do plan to eat healthy and exercise (outside once the temp rises above 10) but as I set my goals this year, I'm thinking even more about godliness and the amount of time and energy I plan to expend in pursuing that because it has value for all things in every area of my life.  It could break down like this.

  • How much am I reading my Bible?
  • How often am I actually obeying what the Bible says?
  • Do I desire time spent alone with God as much as I desire what I spend concentrated blocks of my time doing?
  • Am I preoccupied with thoughts of holiness - the way I'm changing to be more like Christ?
  • Is my prayer life becoming more personal and powerful and necessary?
  • Am I aware of and serving others?
  • Do the friends I share my heart and life most with help me grow spiritually?
A friend of mine posted an article on Facebook today that I found thought provoking.  In fact, it triggered the idea for this blog post. The author tackles the contrast between the pursuit of physical perfection versus holiness.  If you have a few minutes, you may find it helpful and inspiring as you consider how you spend your time and effort in the year 2014.  You can read it here. 

 Here's a little sample:

"What if this New Year we decided to fast not from food but from body talk? Sure—hit the gym, eat the Paleo diet, run six miles a day, wear Spanx from neck to knee—just stop talking about it. Stop telling your friend she looks skinny—instead tell her you love her sweet spirit. Choose compliments that spur her to pursue that which lasts instead of that which certainly does not. If someone comments on your own shape, say thanks and change the subject.  Apply the discipline you use to work out to controlling your tongue. Do this for your sisters, and by the grace of God, we could begin a legacy of womanhood that celebrates character over carb-avoidance, godliness over glamour.

Sister in Christ, physical perfection is not within our grasp, but, astonishingly, holiness is. Where will you devote your energy in the New Year?"*

I love that last paragraph.  It motivates me.  I hope you don't read this post as a criticism in any way, but rather I hope it will speak freedom to you.  Don't listen to the culture and its self-gratifying message.

I believe it was Beth Moore who once said, "You will never grow spiritually by accident.  It will always be on purpose."  Well friends, that's good enough for me - let's get at it.

Let's pursue God and holiness with at least as much if not a bit more passion than anything else this year.  That is what God will reward in a way that He promises will be much more beneficial to us than anything else.

"Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, 
and all these things will be given to you as well."  Matt. 6:33

Col. 3:17, "Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God the Father through Him." 
*Jen Wilkin

No comments: