Sunday, December 30, 2012

Is It Over Already? Beating the After Christmas Blues*

*Below is something I wrote a few years back, but is still in my heart.  I hope you are encouraged by it.



I admit it.  I’m struggling.  I hate the end of Christmas.  No more Christmas music in every store you enter.  No more cookie baking.  No more gift buying.  Undecorated Christmas trees are showing up at the end of driveways.  Gatherings with friends and family become fewer and far between.  People we meet maybe aren’t as friendly as they were.  It can really cause a person to dip down in the dumps. 

Every year I seem to fight these blues.  I love December sooo much.  I love every part of it.  Sparkling white lights everywhere you look.  Women in red glitter.  People who wouldn’t normally say 'hi' offering 'Merry Christmas'!   Christmas books and devotionals pointing us to Luke 2 and Jesus’ manger.  The shopping, baking, wrapping, partying, etc.  It’s all so stimulating and satisfying.  Except the end.  A few years ago, because he is such a good husband, Scott told me I don't have to let it end.  He doesn’t mind how long I need to keep the Christmas tree up.  He encourages me to keep watching the movies, keep listening to the carols.  And I take him up on that every January.

Still, the feelings of emptiness and sadness creep in.  What’s missing all of a sudden?  I told a friend the other day that I think I might know why.  (At least one reason).  Do you suppose it's because for the month of December (and sometimes before) we are consumed with thoughts of others?  We make lists of who we need to buy or make a gift for.  We clip coupons, look for sales, walk up and down the mall aisles, search the internet for just the right gift.  We pore over recipes and bake treats to give away.  We want to present those we love with something that will demonstrate to them how much they mean to us.  Think about it – we always have someone else on our mind.  We are generous with our time, talent, money and more.  And we feel great about it.  (The Bible backs this up in Prov. 11:25 – He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.)

Then the holidays are over and we might be tempted to go back to the same old/same old.  Back to thinking about ourselves, being preoccupied with our own lives, what we want to do, how we’ll spend our time, etc.  This has proved to be far less satisfying.  We go to work, pay the bills, clean the house.  Nothing exciting.  There doesn’t seem to be anything on the calendar to look forward to.  Setting New Year’s goals for self-improvement and such usually help get me back on track.  But this year, I'm challenging myself (and you!) to keep “the most wonderful time of the year” alive until next winter.  How?  Here are a few suggestions from "Christmas Stories from the Heart” by Alice Gray.*

Mend a quarrel.
Seek out a forgotten friend.
Dismiss suspicion.
Write a long overdue love note.
Hug someone tightly and whisper, “I love you so.”
Forgive an enemy.
Be gentle and patient with an angry person.
Express appreciation.
Gladden the heart of a child.
Find the time to keep a promise.
Make or bake something for someone else – anonymously.
Release a grudge.
Listen.
Speak kindly to a stranger.
Enter into another’s sorrow.
Smile.  Laugh a little.  Laugh a little more.
Take a walk with a friend.
Kneel down and pat a dog.
Read a poem or two to your mate or friend.
Lessen your demands on others.
Play some beautiful music during the evening meal.
Apologize if you were wrong.
Turn off the television and talk.
Treat someone to a yummy dessert.
Do the dishes for the family.
Pray for someone who helped you when you hurt.
Fix breakfast on Saturday morning.
Give a soft answer even though you feel strongly.
Encourage an older person.
Point out one thing you appreciate most about someone you work with or live near.
Offer to baby-sit for a weary mother.

Let’s make Christmas one long, extended gift of ourselves to others.  Unselfishly.  Without announcement or obligation or reservation or hypocrisy.  *(adapted from Chuck Swindoll’s Daily Gifts)

That’s what being like Jesus is all about, isn’t it?  And hopefully one of your New Year’s goals or intents is to become more like the One who came in that manger to die on that cross to save us from our sins. 

Let’s continue being generous to all those we come into contact with.  2 Cor. 9 promises that when we are, others thank God.  I want to live a life that causes others to thank God, don’t you?

I think it’s going to be a great year.  The above list gives me lots of ideas.

No comments: