Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Best Answer is Always Yes (when God's asking the questions)



from my nativity collection - this was made in Kenya

Hey there,

My Christmas countdown pillow says there are 20 days left until Christmas.  It's going too fast already.  Time to slow down and think about important things of the season.  As is my custom, and probably some of yours too, I've been reading the book of Luke.  There are so many details.  It could take a lifetime of Decembers to take them all in.  The best part is that each invite a personal application or action point.  I hope you find yours in some of these observations about one of the main characters.

Mary, the mother of Jesus said, “I am the Lord’s servant, may it be to me as you have said.”  (Luke 1:38)  Faithful.  Trustworthy.  Believes.  She said “YES” to god.   She was a teenager completely tuned into to what the God of the Universe was up to.  In saying yes to carrying the Messiah, she said yes to so much more…

q  Yes to scorn from her communtiy and possible stoning
q  Yes to possibly losing her closest friends
q  Yes to giving up a comfortable, predictable life – her dreams and plans
q  Yes to travelling pregnant on a donkey
q  Yes to giving birth in a stinky, animal filled, unsanitary, public stable (no private hospital rooms here)
q  Yes to Joseph delivering her baby
q  Yes to any “rights” or entitlement to her child.  He was born for all mankind, not simply for her pleasure
q  Yes to allowing Joseph to lead her (middle of the night fleeing to Egypt)
q  Yes to raising the perfect son of God in her home

And so much more…..

While that could sound rather unappealing, when Mary said yes to God she also said…

q  Yes to being the one who would know Jesus best
q  Yes to having a permanent place in Biblical history in a story that would be told over and over again throughout all time
q  Yes to the blessing of obedience to God

Mary said yes to a lot of risks.  She said yes to trusting God when she couldn’t see ahead.  It would involve pain and perhaps loneliness.  Am I that willing for the Son of God to disrupt the plans I have set for my life?  Truly I want the blessing and favor and presence of God, but is it on my terms?  Do I require it to be pretty, romantic and comfortable?  Is there something God has asked of you?  Take Mary's example and say yes.

I think Mary had a hard life, but I also believe it was marked by abundance, blessing and contentment.  A decision she never regretted.  That sounds worth it to me.

No comments: