Thursday, November 1, 2012

Why Journal? Some Steps That Have Worked For Me

 A friend asked me recently what I journal.  How does one get started?  So I thought I'd answer it here in case any of you are considering giving it a whirl. Back about eleven years ago I was a journalling wannabe.  I heard countless women whom I admired teach that one of their secrets to spiritual growth and intimacy with God was journalling.  Well, I'm always up for that!  However, like other disciplines, I found this one hard to begin and was not confident I'd stick with it.  You see, I had tried before but if I didn't follow the unwritten rules of writing in it everyday and recording every detail, it seemed like a fail.  I had plenty of books started.  None consistently finished.

All these years later, I have this collection.
I must have shared this with a friend at some point.  You know like when girlfriends all sit around and confess the things they stink at and the others laugh and say, "me too"!  While on a women's retreat soon after, this friend presented me with a beautiful hardcover blank paged book (see pic on left) and said, "Start writing".  I loved the look of the book so much (I can be enamored with the superficial from time to time) that I took the challenge.


I guess I also have believed the notion that the more times you review something the better you remember it.  So, if I write something down that I've heard or read or lived, the chances of it staying with me longer than that moment is significantly increased.  It's true.  And I can go back and review as desired.  I can measure growth.  I can be reminded of all that I have to be thankful for.  I can remember the Lord's faithfulness and trace His hand and footprints through every area that I've recorded.  It's a good thing.  I recommend it.  A discipline?  Sure.  Hard?  Maybe at first.  But it is definitely valuable and worth your time.  Try it and see. There's lots of ways to journal, not just one and I'll venture to say I don't think there's a wrong way. 

Sometimes it's not easy to remain consistent because of the actual content and experience of your life situation.  Trust me, I've lived this one.  Not only did I give this blog a break for some weeks this Fall, but I also laid my personal journal aside. That's kind of a big deal.  I find joy from jotting down my thoughts. It sort of gives validation somehow.  I don't do it everyday but I try to record the highlights of my life a few times per week.  I write the good and the bad.  The failures and the successes.  I write prayers.  I copy quotes.  I jot what makes me laugh and what makes me cry.  I write how I feel God has spoken to me as I read His Word and pray.  Mostly I write what I don't want to forget.

So naturally, when I take a break there are gaps in the storyline.  Many significant events of the last weeks remain unrecorded.  Sometimes the pain is too deep to write down because it requires a re-living of sorts and quite frankly, I haven't wanted to.

That said, something else has been missing.  A big space not filled.  Like a piece of me is not being used or nurtured.  Like I might unknowingly be holding part of myself back from God.  Not good.  I sensed God's nudge the other day to get out my latest pretty book and continue. I was nervous and a little gun-shy.  I didn't look behind me and record the past but started with that very moment.  (No rules in journalling - write how you feel led to.)  Surprise surprise!  I wasn't that rusty after all.  I sat for over an hour and the pen flowed freely.  I felt invigorated (again).

I was going to share here some of what showed up on the page that day but this post is getting way too long and I know some of you prefer bullet points!  Paragraphs can be too cumbersome.  So, I think I'll wait and save that for another day and another post...like tomorrow or the next day.  Deal?  Will you come back?  I hope so.

In the meantime, if you want, head on out to a bookstore or giftshop.  You'll find an awesome assortment of beautiful empty books.  One will suit your personality.  (Kind of like my favorite commercial by Pier 1 Imports: "Find what speaks to you."  Haha!  Cracks me up everytime.You can watch it here.  Sorry about that little detour.)  Find a cozy spot in your home in a comfy chair, get a cup of hot coffee or just go camp out at Starbucks, and quietly begin to write your thoughts.  A little or a lot.  No matter.  You'll get the hang of it.

One last thing, often what I write I wouldn't want anyone else to read but other times I have in the back of my mind that one day my husband and children and perhaps grandchildren may read these volumes.  That sort of excites me. I can leave a record of God's faithfulness to them that might shed some light on their journey of life and point them to God should they lose their way.  Not a bad heritage to pass down, do you think?

P.S. Today is Thursday, November 1st.  Three weeks until Thanksgiving Day.  Why not start or resume your journal with all you are thankful for?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I have tried journaling in the past and have always failed, been discouraged, and have never resumed to complete a journal. After my wedding I began a journal for Shane to read beginning on our 1 year anniversary (don't tell!). The journal has really tested my perseverance and has also drawn me closer to God and to my husband! Writing about the joyful times makes me relive the excitement, and writing about the trials makes me appreciate more of the important things. I usually write every few days, until recently. I went 10 days with no writing and began to feel discouraged whenever I thought of resuming. I read your blog this morning and it truly inspired me to write. So I took your advice, grabbed a hot cup of pumpkin coffee, and wrote all that I was feeling and thinking and thankful for from that moment, not backtracking.

What I took from your blog was this: it is important, and pleasing to God, when I keep my personal secret goals. The ones that no one else knows about except me and God. Maybe even more important than keeping the promises I publicly make to others.

Thank you for this blog and for your love. It is so evident that you write with love. Thank you for being filled with God's love and Word and allowing it to overflow here, for people to be blessed by it. Truly a blessing I am thankful for <3

We are continually in prayer for you and your family <3 With love.