Thursday, November 15, 2012

Top Ten Must Have Christmas CDs and Proof that "Christmasing" is a Word

One of the first components for a meaningful holiday season is to saturate yourself with the music of Christmas.  This is the only time of year we hear songs w/sleigh bells ringing in the background that make us want to build a snowman. And Christmas carols make people happy.  Unless you're a Scrooge.  You're probably not a scrooge or you wouldn't have clicked on this blogpost.  So read on!

Yes, I know it's only November, but I'm going to be busy cooking and baking next week.  No worries, I do try to obey rules regarding timing.  For example, some insist on no Christmas music until after Thanksgiving.  I used to be religious about that.  But alas, I'm weakening with the years. The reason for this backsliding is that four weeks is simply not long enough to Dream of a White Christmas or Dash Through the Snow or sing Gloria In Excelsis Deo.  The Christmas season is too short. Must make the most of it!

At this stage of my life, I will allow tuning in to any radio station that is all Christmas all the time whenever that begins.  I also listen to the instrumental cds or some I only midly like but am unwilling to get rid of. Why these compromises?  Because once I dive into my cherished cd collection....that's all I play, nothing else gets air time.  Don't write me off yet, I do have some standards.  I insist on waiting until the Friday morning after Thanksgiving to indulge. After all, I understand the value of delayed gratification!  Just one week from tomorrow and these babies will make their appearance.  I can hardly wait.  But I will.  I hope.


So in case you are starting your own collection this year or just need a few new suggestions - please find my Top Ten Go To Christmas CDs below.  I am fiercely loyal to these.  Just ask my family.  We listen to them over and over and over and over and over again. I cannot live without them.  In fact, Burtis tradition holds that the family is woken up Friday morning to my favorite pick (see #1).  LOUDLY.  (and repeatedly)  They love it.  Well, I love it.  And I'm the mom, so there! 

 Ok, here's the list.  I hope you like what you see, find it helpful & inspiring, and maybe even give a few a try.

1.  Obviously MercyMe!  It's not only fun and joyful but also incites worship and worshipping the baby Jesus is what we should be all about.  I wore this cd out last year and had to get another.  
Totally. worth. every. penny. Both times.

2. We've had this cd since the kids were little. If you like a high tenor like I like a high tenor, Bryan Duncan is your guy.  The Form of Man will bring tears to your eyes.  "God's thoughts and ways are not our own, I can't understand why He wrapped His love in flesh and blood and He took the form of Man.  God the Father sent His son and we held Him in our hands."  I've got to go get a tissue.

3.  No Christmas is complete without Karen Carpenter.  That voice is so soothing, like syrup. Sweetness just oozes over you.  Rumor has it that when this cd is playing really loudly and I sing along, I sound just like her. 
So what if I started that rumor?  It's true...I think...I hope.  Does it really matter?  Anyway....one song introduced the word that I most often use in December...Christmasing.  Scott doesn't think it's a word.  Trust me, it's on this cd.  It means doing anything Christmas. Crafting. Wrapping. Baking. Decorating. All of it.  I have already started Christmasing this year.  Merry Christmas, Darling. 

4.  I love Matthew West!  Amazingly smooth voice.  The first song "Come On Christmas" is so fun.  This cd came out last year and we love it.  Who can resist the cover?  It's snowing!!

5.  I'm not usually a fan of choir type singing but one December Ben's 2nd grade teacher invited us to the mall to hear her church choir.  I didn't want to go.  I was tired.  I had lots to do.  But you see, every year I invite God to show up. To show Himself in a different way.  To give me a new insight into the Christmas Story according to the Scriptures that maybe I haven't noticed before.  He showed up that night at the mall.  The songs and arrangments give Him glory and that's what I want to do not just at Christmas, but everyday.

6.  Trav.  Beth Moore's worship leader.  His voice is so good.  You will not only love this cd, but you will wish it was snowing out and you're sitting by a fire while you listen to it.

7.  The only soundtrack on the list.  Whitney at her very best.  And a bonus suggestion - watch this movie! It is our family's favorite.


8.  Michael Buble....need I say more?  I used to hate the song "All I Want For Christmas Is You" until Mr. Buble sang it.  :)  This is new too - came out last year.  Get it.

 9.  Christmas Carols of the Young Messiah. If you have been a fan of contemporary Christian music for more than 10 years, you'll know all the artists. 

10.  Another oldie but a goodie.  Great harmonies....as if I know what that means ( I heard somebody say it once).  I just like how they sound together.



PS...last year my beloved 2nd born son put all my cd's on my ipod so that all I had to do is "shuffle".  What a great kid!  I recommend this - then every song gets your attention at some point.  Oh and I continue to listen long after Christmas because I CAN.  So can you.  Let it last. 

Here are some honorable mentions:
The Time Life Treasury (all the songs they play on the radio)
An Evening in December (accapella)
Josh Groban's Noel
Harry Connick Jr's Oh What a Night
Kenny G's Faith A Holiday Album

No comments: