Monday, June 4, 2012

A New Way of Looking at Life and the Value of an Inspiring Friend

Hey everyone, I hope you had a great weekend.  I wanted to tell you about something that blessed me last week.  God gave me a special treat.  Do you have someone in your life who inspires you?  Someone who makes you want to live your life better. Someone who both laughs at the silly and ponders the deep. Someone you know won't judge you, but instead will commit to pray for you.  I am thankful that God has blessed me with several of these kinds of friends and when I can spend time with them, I jump at the chance. One in particular, I don't get to see face to face very often.  Once or twice a year, in a good year. Recently, we got  to share a long (but not long enough) dinner and visit together. 

As we wrapped up an evening of filling each other in on our lives since our last visit, I asked a question:  "Are you excited about your new adventure?"  She is heading into a new but somewhat familiar season of life that requires major change for her and her whole family.  She paused before she answered.  Then she said, "Whenever people ask me that, I wonder why they want me to be excited.  Who said that everything we do for God will excite us?  Sometimes we choose obedience whether we are super happy about it or not simply because He's asked us to do it."  You can imagine I wasn't expecting that answer.  I admit it, I want everyone to be happy and excited all the time.  I really do not like it when friends suffer or go through difficulties that I presume will rob them of joy.

We discussed this further while we finished our dessert and coffee. As usual, I walked away so proud of her and inspired to walk that deep life of faith.  Later I thought about it some more.  I considered all the Bible characters that were asked to do something that they probably didn't tell all their friends they were excited to begin.
  • God asked Abraham to leave his country, home, extended family and friends to go to a new land where he knew no one and had no idea what was waiting for him. (Genesis)
  •  
  • God asked Moses to fight a lengthy, costly battle with Pharaoh opening the door for obstacles from his complicated past to be opened up like a can of worms. (Exodus)

  • God asked Jonah to go preach the Good News to a people he despised. (Jonah)
  •  
  • God asked Mary to lay aside her reputation and somewhat predictable life to give birth to and raise His Son, the Messiah of the World.  (Luke)
  •  
  • God asked Ananias to go reach out to Saul, who persecuted and killed Christians. (Acts)

  • God asked Jesus to leave perfect heaven, come to sin-filled Earth to be misunderstood, betrayed, beaten, to suffer and die for a fickle people, and secure eternal life for generations untold.
Of course, what we know now is that not only were each of those men blessed, but their obedience and surrender secured our blessing as well.  The truth is, I don't think we can fulfill the destiny God has for us if we continually position ourselves for happiness and stress or problem-free living.  We have to trust God for what He is doing that is beyond our current comprehension.  In other words, He knows what He's doing with our lives!  We can trust Him, girlfriends.  Don't be afraid.  Just say yes.  He is for us. He is working everything together for good according to His purposes. Who knows what He could be doing through you in the lives of those who are watching your life.

I think it's exciting.  I want to be one who God can ask to do something hard because He knows I will say yes - whether I'm excited and ready to have a party over it....or not.  That I will always choose obedience looking at each opportunity He presents to me as an opportunity to grow closer to Him and deeper in the knowledge of Him. Just like my very special friend does. Why would I want to live any other way?  This is the way to ensure you don't get to the end of your life and only have self-gratification to show for it.  Instead, your obedient, God-centered life will be inspiring to others just like my friend always is to me.

Let me repeat how I started this post:  do you have someone in your life who inspires you?  Someone who makes you want to live your life better. Someone who both laughs at the silly and ponders the deep. Someone you know won't judge you, but instead will commit to pray for you.  I sincerely hope you do.  Why not schedule some time with her if it's long overdue?  If you don't, GET ONE.  Pray and ask God to lead you to this kind of woman.  Watch and observe the godly women in your life and then strike up a friendship.

Hey, one more question.  Who are you inspiring?  There is no time like today to take a good hard look inside and evaluate your spiritual life.  I guarantee, lots of people are watching you.....be inspiring!!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Excellent, Angela. Good challenge. Thanks