Monday, June 25, 2012

Three Sweet Treats to Make on a Cool Summer Day

Hey girlfriends,

Last week this time we were wilting in the heat and humidity.  Today, cool and comfortable.  I love it. Did I mention our new house does not have air conditioning?  You read it right.  I thank God for cold fronts and dry air.  Often.  Psalm 121:5 says, "The Lord watches over you - the Lord is your shade at your right hand...".  What a beautiful verse.  This is why today is such an awesome day.  I wasted no time getting in the kitchen and doing some baking.  I mentioned it on facebook and several asked for the recipes.  So here you go!

This is strawberry rhubarb cobbler.  I doubled the recipe to fit a 13x9 pan.  And I also used 1/2 whole wheat flour - I just had to add something else with some nutritional value. :)  Recipe is at link below:
I recommend eating warm w/ice cream or whipped cream
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Strawberry-Rhubarb-Cobbler

Next I tried a pinterest recipe for Individual Baked Oatmeal - to grab and go.  I love this idea as I am usually not ready for breakfast as early as I leave for work.  So I'll be putting these in my freezer and grabbing them when I need a little something to go.  Made in muffin tins....genius!  They are so good.  I made several different kinds:  raisin and nut, fruit, mini chocolate chips, etc.  You can go wild with your imagination - and they are so healthy and very tasty!  Hope you love them too.



http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/personal-sized-baked-oatmeal-with-individual-toppings-gluten-free-diabetic-friendly/

And the last....homemade granola.  Perfect for fruit and/or yogurt.  I can't remember where I got this recipe, but have been using it for a long time now.


Angela's Granola

5 c. quick oats (been known to use old fashioned)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. apple juice (or whatever juice you have)
1/2 c. dry milk
1/3 c. honey
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
dried fruit and nuts as you desire*

Mix sugar, juice, dry milk and honey in saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves.  Combine other dry ingredients and mix well.

Place on cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 20-30 min, stirring every 10 minutes.  *add fruits and nuts after baking.  Cool on waxed paper.

Hope you've found something to do today that  brings you joy.

1 comment:

Heather said...

you make me happy