Friday, September 4, 2015

It's All in the Eyes

So this week in the mountains we started our new jobs. We are thankful in a way that attendance is low at the end of the summer. It gave us time to think and learn our responsibilities, also to get to know our co-workers, our new people. We loved every minute.

The big story though is that Ally has been with us since she doesn't have to report to college until next week. She worked at camp too in various different jobs like teaching Bible stories to 4-6th graders, dishpit, housekeeping, and cooking on the grill in the TeePee.

When she's not working she hangs out in my office. One morning I heard a familiar voice coming from her area. Yay for eye to eye Facetime with her brother! Some of those in the office got to see a happy mama.

Even with all that good stuff, she had the audacity to announce part way through that she wasn't really having fun. Why?  "Because you and Dad work all the time and are tired when you're not."



Tired? Us? Psh.





I don't know what she's talking about. Scott and I are tons of fun, especially right after work.
So the next night became Operation Have Fun With Ally Night.

We started here.















That Adirondack life though!

Next was Campo. Oh you haven't heard of it? Use your imagination.

Because it's not polite to brag, I won't mention who won two games but let her daughter run up and take the prize for one of them.
All in all, I believe we accomplished our goal. I could see it in her eyes. It was a great night.

One of the favorite things about my new position is that when the circumstances dictate and the stars align, I can do something unexpected, something wonderful for a guest. Just because.

Early in the week, a father and his grown son arrived. There was just something about them. Quiet, humble, genuine. I thought about them long after they left my desk and woke up with them on my mind the next day.

I asked around as to how much freedom I had to bless. The answer - 100%. (insert giddy smile) I found them at breakfast and told them my plan. They just looked at me and their eyes inquired, "Why?" "Why would you do that"?

Then it hit me. It was their eyes. Once upon a time we had a pastor/boss for not enough years whom we loved. He was a pleasure to work with and for. Our kids adored him. There was just something about him too. I used to say, "he has kind eyes."

This father/son duo both have kind eyes. Eventually I learned some of their story. Dad was a missionary in Italy (my heritage) for many years, soon to head out again. He lost his wife to cancer one year ago. In his words, "I've just been trying to find my way." The son just smiled quietly, with those eyes, clearly still missing his mom. I knew then that it was the Holy Spirit's idea to do something wonderful for them and He was nudging me to make it happen. It was such a pleasure. Seriously, I love this job.

I think the eyes tell a lot about a person and I am so drawn to kind eyes. It's my most favorite way to desribe someone.

The Bible has a lot to say about God's eyes and our eyes.

First God's:

For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him. 2 Chronicles 16:9

He does not take His eyes off the righteous... Job 36:7

My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with Me; he whose walk is blameless will minister to Me. Psalm 101:6  We can minister to God? Sign me up!

The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked 
and the good. Proverbs 15:3

 Our eyes:

The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. Matthew 6:22,23

What we should and shouldn't do with our eyes:

Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.  
Psalm 119:17  Read the Word.

Turn my eyes away from worthless things... Psalm 119:37

I lift up my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1,2

Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. Proverbs 3:7

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 18

Let us fix our eyes upon Jesus... Hebrews 12:2

The eyes tell a lot about a person. I've looked into evil eyes and I shudder to remember how that made me feel. Many more times I've looked into kind eyes. The understanding, the warmth, the genuine care. I'll choose kind eyes every time.

Sometimes I wonder if I lived back in the days when Jesus walked the earth which crowd I would find myself in. Would I have become a believer or would I have been a skeptic?

I'm convinced that anyone who looked straight into Jesus' eyes with a pure desire to learn and discover the truth, that they would have just known. Because His eyes surely are the kindest of all and I can't wait to see for myself.

You see, there's one more verse, the best in the Bible. The hope we look forward to everyday. The big cheese. The whole enchilada:

Look, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him... Revelation 1:7 

Until that day, let's be intentional.  If we know Jesus, our eyes are filled with light. Those living in this dark world will look into our eyes. May they be found kind and bright, helping others find their way to Christ.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you <3



but Scott let you take the camera out on the water?