Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Next Thing

Day 5 of the Empty Nest. But who's counting? The kids are gone and our house is empty. What to do.

A few weeks ago, as my 24/7-time-to-wake-up-here's-your-sandwich-clean-your-room-don't-forget-your-coat parenting was imminently drawing to a close, I engaged in some heavy duty prayers. I told God how all I know is raising kids and women's ministry. 

The time at our little church where Scott serves as interim pastor is also ending, which means more change on the horizon but I refused to become panicky.

I know myself and I know that I could not handle the quietness of our house and lack of something to do, so I prayed more fervently that God would give us the next thing before those things ended.

Through a series of conversations, emails, texts and connections, God opened a door. Our first empty nest adventure is taking place here, at Camp of the Woods in Speculator, NY. We've been hired to join the summer staff for the next seven weeks. 

This is where you'll find Scott and me. In our own little cabin in the Adirondacks. It has a porch! Just big enough for two. Perfect. 

 
We are excited for the change of scenery and to serve the Lord by serving people. I thought I'd tell you about our first week. Orientation.

The thing we noticed right off the bat is that we are old. 

I'd say 90% of the staff is made up of college and high school aged kids. Gulp.

No wonder the man who hired us kept talking about our "maturity" and how our ministry "experience" was something they were looking for. Code words for old people.

So the first day went pretty well as we learned of our tasks. Handing out keys at the beginning of each week, blowing up balloons, greeting guests, setting up rooms for meetings, delivering people and packages on golf carts, carrying a master key for all accommodations, etc. Psh. We've got this.

Then during day two I learned some new words. Words I'd never actually heard before. Our supervisor/trainer told us we would becoming certified belayers that afternoon. Excuse me? Come again? What might a belayer do? Then he said, "Meet me at the climbing wall after lunch."

I knew this wasn't going to be good. I've attended many a retreat here through the years and hanging out at the climbing wall has never been where you'd find me.

Well, I did ask God for something to do this summer. Begged, in fact. Gulp again. When you say yes to a position called Guest Services, this is never what you imagined to be a part of your job responsibilities. 

So after lunch we went to the climbing wall. Did I mention 90% of the staff are kids? Make that 98% in this particular situation. That's right. All kids except Scott and me. The first thing they told us to do was put on a harness.

I'm sorry, but I have to stop here. You may not know this about me, but I hold to a few personal policies. One is to never wear a harness. Ever. Unless, of course, I'm dangling from an airplane about to crash into a mountain. Maybe then. 

I looked at Scott. He grinned. Yeah, real funny, buddy. I quickly sent a family text to all of my kids. "Mayday! Personal Policy Violation! They want me to put a harness on to learn how to belay. Is belay even a word?"

You can imagine all the support (and emojis) I received. No pun intended.
I put the harness on.
Do you even know what belaying is?  Here's what Merriam Webster has to say: "Definition of BELAY. 1: the securing of a person or a safety rope to an anchor point (as during mountain climbing)."

Then I watched and listened to the whole demonstration of what they would be expecting us to do. I was to use my body on the ground to anchor a person (of any size) who would climb the wall while I perform a series of rope tricks secured through carabiners and GriGris. Another made up word. Have you ever?

I began to sweat and feel a little nauseous. I mean, adventure is one thing but holding someone's life in my hands, literally? 

Then this: "Before we can certify you, we want you to get into groups and practice belaying and climbing. Belay three people and climb the wall three times."

I don't think so. That's it for me.

I had to believe at this point that a 47-year-old mother of three could opt out of this one little thing. I mean really, with this room full of certified belayers (if that really is a word), would they seriously call on me in an emergency? How about I just sign people in?

An executive decision had to be made quickly. I took the harness off and sat down to watch everyone else, willing to take whatever punishment I deserved. 

A few of the overachievers noticed and tried to motivate, "You can do it! It will be fun!"

Yeah. No.
Turns out, I got away with it. No one seemed to notice. We were to come back a few days later for the certification. I didn't go back.

Next stop, help at the TeePee. Look what we got to do here - practice making ice cream cones. This is more like it! Lucky for me working at an ice cream stand was the very first job I ever had. Scott, however, didn't have any experience to fall back on. As you can see.


But everybody loves Scott. So no biggie. And we got to eat our cones no matter how weird and warped they came out. Very cool.


Did I mention driving the golf carts...or limos as they are referred to? Now this training was fun although I admit I'm a little nervous to drive people around on these sometimes bumpy roads. Please pray I don't dump anyone off. Not that I think I'll get much driving time. Surely this is the main reason the kids work in this department.


Entering the workforce, so to speak, after all these years has rattled me a bit. My confidence is low and my insecurities high which I'm just taking day by day.


Scott had to go back home for a few days to finish up at church so I've been by myself, except for my good friend Sandy next door who is a pro at working and living here. This helps immensely.

But, the other night it was so cold I didn't know what I'd do to stay warm. So I layered up and put every blanket I brought on my bed. The next morning one of the kids said, "Don't you have heat in your cabin?"  Heat in my cabin? Why would there be heat at a summer camp? I guffawed (an old people word meaning a loud, unrestrained burst of laughter. A real word.) Kids - always looking for comforts from home.

When I went to my cabin at the end of that day, I saw this staring back at me, plain as day, mocking.


Oh. Hmmm. Well, maybe just a little.
I slept much better that night.
I'm going to be just fine until Scott returns.
As long as the kids (and Sandy) look after me.

There are so many good things about being here. I like meeting new people, listening to the speakers, helping where needed, and being another mom to these young'ns.

Oh and I may or may not have mentioned that all meals are provided. No cooking all summer!

Looking at this view every day....


and night. Beautiful.

And a daughter, very thankful to her Father who knows her well, and has granted this respite from what could have been a very different summer.

Jesus loves me, this I know.
Jesus knows me, this I love.

He is always worth trusting and following. Always.

Pray to your Father in Heaven, who hears your prayers, even the desperate, whiny ones. 

PS. Did you happen to notice that God made it so that my new adventure (the subject of my prayers) started the very same day as the empty nest began?  

Now that is beautiful. 

3 comments:

Dianne Madigan said...

Sounds like a wonderfully,exciting,just-what-you-need summer. Enjoy all God has in store for you.

Unknown said...

So glad that God has provided for your every need so richly.....stay safe and rejoice in that incredible beauty all around you! And, come to Big Moose on a day off. Joanie

Andrea said...

Oh my...I laughed right out loud so many times as I read this out loud to Michael! I love how He is taking care of you and gently stretching you! Im with you on the harness thing...surely with that many kids they have that belaying thing covered!! Now ice cream...that's more my speed!