Wednesday, June 17, 2015

I'm Going To Miss Her

Well, here we are. Middle of June, racing toward the end of June, which translates - our baby's graduation from high school is days away. Which translates - she grew up and is leaving home soon! Which translates - the beginning of our empty nest season. Which translates - what does a full-time stay-at-home mom do now? Let's just save those last two for another day, shall we? (hint hint)

Today I'm thinking about how much I'm going to miss my girl. Indulge me for a few minutes?

I'm going to miss how she plops down on my freshly made bed to talk but never smoothes out the bedspread. I always know she's been here.


I'm going to miss how she loves to get involved in fun things. Here she is with her Aunt Chris walking in a parade to promote her Uncle Tim's political endeavors.


I'm going to miss her emoji-filled texts from school, when she should be paying attention in class. Here we are chatting about why I don't want her to kiss boys (for awhile). I think she's just messing with me, but I'll take it.


I'm going to miss how when she wakes up too early, she comes out and plops on the couch to sleep a few more hours. And how much she loves soft blankies.


I'm going to miss how she claims to have made her bed. Sheesh. Really?


I'm going to miss how she collects body sprays and lotions. Maybe I'm going to miss her messy room. Nah! Probably not.


I'm going to miss her emptying the dishwasher (and cleaning the bathrooms). More chores for me to do now.


I'm going to miss her school spirit and what she's willing to wear to participate.


I'm going to miss hearing her sing at school and church. Click here to watch one of my favorites from a recent school concert. Her quartet is featured. She's the one on the far left in the sparkly dress. Seriously watch it...you'll enjoy, I promise.

I'm really going to miss our rides to church on Sundays. Here she is in the backseat, half her outfit came from my closet. (I will also miss seeing her in my clothes. Come to think of it, I'd better lock my closet door when she's packing.)

I'm especially going to miss our must-listen-to-playlist of hymns that she insists on every week. It's as hokey as the day is long, but we have fun and good things are growing deep within all of us as we sing and car-dance along. You read it right, we car dance.


I'm going to miss finding pictures like these on my phone.


I'm going to miss our weekly dates to discuss "important things". We are not above bribing. Favorite foods in exchange for her captivated attention and listening ear. Worth every calorie.


I'm going to miss sneaking by her room expecting to bust her for being on her ipod first thing in the morning ("Jesus before Insta") and instead finding her reading her Bible and praying. Oh the shame of a suspicious mother.

I don't have pictures for everything I will miss, like how she and I outnumber Scott and may or may not gang up on him from time to time. Or everyday. How we together make fun of him and talk about "girl things" relentlessly in front of him.

I will miss how most every night this last month she has tried to get Scott to sleep in one of the boys' rooms so she can "sleep with Mommy". And how he never does it, sending her back to her room.

And especially this, I'm going to miss how she grabs Scott and I around the neck for a group hug and says, "I love it when it's just the three of us. You guys are my best friends."

Uh-oh. Where are the tissues?

In short, like her brothers, she will leave a gaping hole in our household. She has filled up our lives with fun and laughter (and challenge and frustration at times for sure), but I am so thankful to have been given the gift of raising this young woman and now sending her out into the world to start her adult life. I think she's ready.

Next stop - graduation. Nine days. I got this.

No comments: