Thursday, October 16, 2014

It's Not On You

So have you seen the commercial on tv where a person turns into a diva/monster of some kind because they are 'not themselves when their hungry' and the solution to bring them back to normal is to give them a Snickers bar?  Yeah, it's funny.
Last week when the weather sort of turned cooler, I switched my outdoor workout back indoors.  (Hello again Jillian, I did not miss you all summer.)  Because the sun is shining today and it's warm out again, I grabbed my charged up ipod and headed outside.  It was then I realized what my Snickers bar is.

You see thanks to my tech-savvy family members, this ipod is loaded with all my favorite groups and songs that powerfully point my attention to how awesome God is, how much He loves me and the fact that He has a plan for my life.  It wasn't long before my spirits were up and I was feeling hopeful and content - back to myself again.

As song after familiar song played, other things came to mind too.  Things that are taking up residence in my thinking from the content I'm studying in the Bible right now.  

Specifically this simple 4 word phrase:  It's Not On You

Check this out:  "As spiritual people, we tend to tie our hopelessness to our belief that God has somehow let us down or refused to come through.  Job's raw confession -

What strength do I have that I should continue to hope? What is my future, 
that I should be patient? Is my strength that of stone, or my flesh 
made of bronze?  Since I cannot help myself, the hope for success 
has been banished from me.  Job 6:11-13 

conveys that he felt hopeless because he could not help himself."*

Well I certainly know what that feels like.  Strength gone.  Patience gone.  All hope of success as depending on me, banished.  You too?  

We live in a culture that celebrates problem solvers, leaders who are firmly in charge seemingly able to control everything, and a well-planned lives.  Have you ever heard this, "God helps those who help themselves"?  Yeah, that's not in the Bible.

Consequently, when we can't get there ourselves or are tired of waiting for rescue, hopelessness can settle in.  The truth is, we don't have to go there.  Just like He was for Job, God is our help.  God is our strength.  He is the One who is holding the world in place.  He is the One ultimately in control.  It was never meant to be on us.

What is the weight of the world you're trying to lug around?  It was easy for me to come up with a few boulders.  I'll spare you the gory details this time.

One of the songs that came on next was a new favorite by MercyMe.  Not shocking for those of you who know me well.  Certain people have actually accused me of having nothing else on that ipod.  Psh.  There's only 120 MercyMe songs on there - plenty of room for others.

Unless you've bought their most recent cd, you probably haven't heard this one.  If you'd like to listen to it (and I highly recommend you do) click here.

Check out these lyrics.

I don't have to know you
To know that you will go through hard times
It's just part of life
Don't let that moment blind you
And don't let it define you
Take heart, that's not who you are

Our God is able, more than capable
To be faithful to the end
He'll finish what He started

Remember you're forgiven
So there's no need to give in
To the lie that you're disqualified

No matter what you've done
Grace comes like a flood
There's hope to carry on
He'll finish what He started
No matter what you face
His mercy will not change
He's with you all the way
He'll finish what He started

This work He started in you now
He's faithful to complete it
The promise was sealed when He cried out
It is finished

He'll finish what He started

I know what you're thinking and I couldn't agree more - you should go out today and buy this cd or at least click on the link and listen to it yourself.  

Here's the thing.  The day you decided to follow Jesus through faith in His death and resurrection, God started a good work in you.  And no matter what He will complete it. 

It's not on you to figure out all the details.  Your job and mine is simply this -  believe it.

Guess what happens when we do?  We're blessed.

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said 
to her will be accomplished!  Luke 1:45

What has the Lord promised?  Straight from the Apostle Paul's pen:  "....He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."  Phil. 1:6  He'll finish what He started!

Yeah, this song and the Bible truth it underscores beats a Snickers bar any day. 

Oh and I believe this finally settles which Bible verse I will print beside Ally's picture in her last high school yearbook. 
  
*Beth Moore in Children of the Day

No comments: