Monday, October 20, 2014

A Powerful Statement

So one thing my husband Scott and I have in common is that we are sermon junkies.  We love a great message from the Bible delivered by a gifted communicator.  On the top of our list is Andy Stanley.  I've quoted him many times here.

We try to listen to everything he teaches because it is always relevant and always truthful and almost always somehow exactly what we need to hear at the moment we hear it.  God works in cool ways like that (which is another reason why we need to have a steady diet of His Word coming into our lives often).

Saturday we had yet another wonderful opportunity to travel about an hour one way to Ally's last volleyball tournament. Instead of settling into my seat and like always putting my MercyMe soaked playlist on the radio that he patiently endures, I spoke Scott's love language instead when I said, "Do you have Andy's new series on your ipod?"  Every once in a while I'm a good wife.

He wasted no time cuing it up. 
Scott drove, I knitted a sock and our souls were fed.  All the way there and all the way back.

In The Meantime is a sermon series for those of us who find ourselves in a hard, undesirable situation(s) that we can do nothing about.  Absolutely nothing.  We are simply at its mercy.  What are we to do?  He had my attention.

One of the last things said right before we pulled into our driveway made me put down the knitting needles and scramble for a piece of paper and pen because I knew it was one of those powerful statements that I would revisit for a long time.  We backed it up and listened to it three or four more times.

You have no idea what or who hangs in the balance of your decision to remain faithful when everything around you says 'be faithless'.  And you won't ever know if you don't see this through and trust God to be faithful to you and His promises, accomplishing His purpose through it.

Neither did the Apostle Paul who while in prison decided to best use his time to write letters to churches. He had no idea those letters would become part of the New Testament that would ultimately be for our benefit. 

See what I mean?  And that's just one thought - there was so much more.

The truth is, Scott and I are not the only people I know going through adversity, affliction, difficulty, God's silence, God's uncooperation, etc.  Almost everyone is in some way or another.  That's why I had to share this with you today.  I can never keep anything this good to myself.

Don't quit before you find out what or who hangs in the balance of your faithfulness.  And if you are in an 'In the Meantime' situation, download or watch these messages.  You won't waste a minute of your time and who knows, you might get just the push you need to get to the finish line with your faith intact.  And even with joy!  I think I did.

You may even become a sermon junkie too.  Trust me, it's not such a bad thing.  

Click here to listen

No comments: