Monday, January 21, 2013

If You Need Some Mighty In Your Life

Ever been in a rut regarding your prayer life?  Me too. Don't get me wrong - I pray everyday, but I can fall into the habit of  praying for the same people and the same stuff sometimes using the same words.  I refer to God as Father, God, Jesus and Lord.  I can't remember the last time I called Him one of the more creative names found in the Bible'

As I read through the first few books of the Old Testament and New in my reading plan, I've noticed something I hadn't before.  Like how many times the Lord, our God is referred to as The Mighty One.

See for yourself:

Genesis 49:24  But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob.

Joshua 22:22 The Mighty One, God, the Lord! The Mighty One, God, the Lord! He knows!

Psalm 42:4 These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go to the house of God under the protection of the Mighty One with shouts of joy and praise among the festive throng.

Psalm 50:1 The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to where it sets.

Isaiah 33:21 There the Lord will be our Mighty One.

Isaiah 60:16 ...Then you will know that I, the Lord, am your Savior, your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.

Matthew 26:64 “You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

And that's not all of them.  Just a few to get us thinking today.  God is The Mighty One.  The only Mighty One.  The pages of the Bible are filled with accounts of just how Mighty He can be.  We are talking power here.

I could use some Mighty in my life.  I have seen God do mighty things over the years but I'm committed to not let those only be stories from my past as far as it depends on me.  I wonder how my perspective would change on how I view life, how I pray and what I expect from my prayers if I began to both call Him and refer to God as The Mighty One.  

This is my new experiment.  Maybe I'll see God do some new things (Is. 43:19  "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.")

I suspect my faith will grow.  That is what I want.  I want to believe God for bigger things.  I don't want to pray weak, predictable prayers.  I want to pray the kind that get His attention because they show that I trust Him and I believe that He can do more and better than I can imagine.  The kind of prayers that leave me joyful.  I want His glory to be displayed in my life in a Mighty way.  Not because of anything I do, but because of what He chooses to do that concerns me.

When all is said and done, perhaps like Mary, this will become my song....

 Luke 1:49 for the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is his name.