Sunday, April 8, 2012

Top Ten Reasons Why I Love Easter

10.  Easter Candy!!  I believe all my faves are in this picture.  White chocolate bunnies, robin eggs, cadbury eggs, peanut butter eggs, marshmallow bunnies and starburst jelly beans!  Would have included my new favorite - chocolate mousse peeps - if there were any left!


9.  Coloring Easter eggs - this year I did it by myself - no one was interested in helping - I think my kids are growing up!  And....an Easter lily - gift from a new neighbor!

8.  Spring flowers that bloom right on time. Glorious! (and saying the word Glorious all day long). Scott even sang a song called Glorious.  It's a glorious word - and super fun to say.  Repeatedly.  Just ask my kids. They like hearing it too.  Repeatedly.  Maybe not so much.

7.  Dressing up for church...preferably in a new springy outfit.

6.  Setting the table special and preparing favorite holiday foods....even when it's only for 4.

5.  Trying out a new idea (thanks Pinterest).  Looks like these dudes have sunglasses on.  (I didn't have olives, so improvised with black beans)

Now the really important ones....

4.  Waving a banner for all the world (in Endwell, NY) to see.

3.  Some favorite Easter quotes:
  • "I AM He" - Jesus replied when the guards in the garden said they were looking for Jesus of Nazareth.  John 18:5,6  Best part - they all fell to the ground. When the I AM speaks, you can't stay on your feet.
  • "I tell you the truth, today you will be with Me in paradise."  Luke 23:43  Paradise is waiting for all who believe.
  • "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." Luke 23:34.  Forgiveness is always offered.
  •  "It is finished." John 19:30  My salvation - paid in full.
  • "Were not our hearts burning within us while He talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?" said by the men on the road to Emmaus.  Luke 24:32
2.  Freedom to worship openly.  As Pastor Jim said this morning, "When you focus on truth (who He is, what He's done, what you've been given)*, your emotions will follow.  How couldn't they?"  Go back and read that again. "How couldn't they?"  Best statement I've heard about how and why we worship. My emotions came out dripping down my face today.

1.  Easter songs and sermons.  "Up from the grave He rose...and as He stands in victory, sin's curse has lost its grip on me....for I am His and He is mine...bought with the precious blood of Christ."** I want to highlight all the different phrases in that short verse, because they are all so powerful.  Because He is alive I live, abundantly now, and eternally with Him one day...face to face.  Now, that's good stuff.

Happy Resurrection Day my friends.  I trust you've had your own encounter with the Risen Savior today - and everyday.  Thanks for taking a few minutes to spend with me today.

*italics mine
**song In Christ Alone



No comments: