Thursday, April 5, 2012

How do I Smell?

Here we are approaching Easter weekend.  I've been looking forward to it for weeks, have you?  Easter symbolizes the beginning of Spring, new life popping up all over.  And, of course, we celebrate the most significant event in the history of our faith, the death and resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

As I've been focusing my morning quiet times on this very subject, the Bible has come alive to me in a new way.  This time through my nose.  You read it right. Have you ever noticed how many verses in the Bible mention smells, fragrances, aromas, odors, etc.? It's kind of funny to me and really interesting.  Check this out:



The Triumphal Entry of Jesus into Jerusalem.  His followers were waving palm branches as He made His way into town on the back of a donkey.  Did the newly cut branches smell  like a fresh mowed lawn?

 



Mary anointed Jesus' feet with a whole bottle of perfume.  I recently bought a small sample of spikenard to observe for myself.  It is a distinctive fragrance.  The girls in Bible study described it potent, earthy, lingering. A beautiful, scandalous act that would not soon be forgotten.




Then there's the wine and bread broken during the Last Supper that Jesus hosted with the disciples. I imagine the warm, comforting smell of freshly baked bread and the pungent aroma of squeezed grapes.




 On the not so pleasant side, we smell the stink of death.  When Lazarus died and Jesus made it to the tomb after 4 days, Martha cautioned Him not to go into the tomb because by this time "He stinketh!"  I've never smelled a body already dead for 4 days (have you?). Perhaps it was something like raw chicken in my trash after a few days - yuck! 

But I like to think that on Resurrection morning there was a strong aroma of new life, of sweet victory, like a field of spring flowers.



I love that the Bible presents us an opportunity to experience Him through all of our senses, even smell.  Look at this:

2 Cor. 2:14-16 "But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him.  For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing."

Do you see it?  Another triumphal procession...only we're invited to join in this time!  The idea that through us God can spread the fragrance - everywhere - of the knowledge of Him.  A little scary, too, isn't it?  Like having a religious bumper sticker on your car and then unintentionally frustrating another driver 'in Jesus' name'.  Ugh.

 If we are to God the aroma of Christ - to everyone - how then should we smell?  I certainly am asking myself questions like: "How do I smell?" and "What aroma did I leave in the room I just left?"  Was it sweet-smelling, loving, kind, caring, understanding?




Or was it the odor of bitterness,
a judging spirit, criticism, gossip?




How do we leave behind the aroma of Christ?  Well, as usual, Jesus sets us a perfect example. "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."  (Eph. 5:1) Christ's sacrifice, the most fragrant offering to God, was that He gave Himself up for us.  His death and resurrection from the dead.  So knowing God loves us so much we simply must purpose to live a life of love - to all those who smell us each day.  This is our fragrant offering.

I hope you get some time this weekend to recall the aromas of Easter and leave the sweet scent of Jesus everywhere you go.

No comments: