Sunday, June 1, 2008

What's God Been Teaching You Lately?

Ever had someone ask you that question and you just don’t have the time or well-crafted words to seize the opportunity to answer it justly? I have, and I thought, since I haven’t written in a while I’d pretend you just asked it of me.

Before I begin, keep in mind these are random thoughts. If they somehow connect as you read them, it will be the ministry of the Holy Spirit to you. For sure.

Spend your life pursuing God and investing in people. If you do this, when the dark days of grief and pain come (and they will), God will raise you up. He’ll do it through His Spirit and through the people you’ve invested in.

Since last Wednesday night when I learned of the tragic death of Steven Curtis Chapman’s youngest adopted daughter, I’ve been grieving. Back and forth between tears, prayers and wondering how they’re going to get through this. He and his family are experiencing crippling levels of pain and loss. God will get them through. How do I know this? Because they’ve built mountains of faith on the firm foundation of Jesus Christ and His Word. In my humble unsolicited opinion, I believe SCC to be the most godly, humble Christian artist with utmost integrity. (Just listen to any one of his songs or attend a concert to hear his heart and you’ll know what I mean. Each song reflects Steven’s deep and growing-deeper relationship w/the Savior and the truths he has discovered in God’s Word.) I’ve been reading updates on how they are doing from Steven’s manager, Jim Houser’s, blog. (http://www.stevencurtischapman.org/ - to read it all). Here’s one small excerpt:

“If you couldn't be here, the Chapmans have felt your love too. Yes, web stats are just numbers... but in this case they reflect love. In the first 24 hours after Maria's untimely death was confirmed, over 31,000 people shared their condolences; (now over 18,000) 225,000 people watched the Maria video; $100,000 donated to Maria's Miracle Fund, 715,000 people visited SCC.com's blog In Memory Of Maria; and Dale, our web guru, had to change the configuration of the site because traffic was so heavy it was literally crashing the server. 715k may not be a lot if you're U2, but in our music circles that looks a whole lot like 5 months of traffic in one day.” Not to mention hundreds who showed up at their church the first night and over 2,000 who attended the memorial service - italics mine.

Says a lot about a person, doesn’t it? Says a lot about how God has provided us love we can touch when we need it. Who says God isn’t here in the flesh? Oh yes He is.

Now that some of the hardest days have passed, I’m not worried about the Chapman family. I know they are going to make it. Long ago they put their faith and trust and HOPE in God. They’ve shaped their lives around a relentless pursuit of His Will for their lives. They will accept both blessing and pain from the hands of the Father. And, for sure, they will glorify God even in this.

Of course, the question has to be asked: Could that be said of me? Could it be said of you?

In order to secure the right answer, we have to believe God with reckless abandon. We must know His Word thoroughly – so that we know the heart of our God – it’s all in there. We were made for heaven, not earth. It’s so easy to hold tightly to earthly pleasures and comfort, isn’t it, even if it means rejecting the sovereignty of God and choosing bitterness?

This, of course, brings me to #2 (see the Holy Spirit really is connecting them) – but how much time do you really have today? And how much can we digest without forgetting what we’ve read? So, I’ve made an executive decision – this will be a 3-part series of devotions (as I still have 2 more big thoughts).

Lots to chew on today, ladies that I love. Don’t despair. Don’t lose heart. Your God loves you. Pursue Him all the way. Hold nothing back. He’ll show you that He’s worth it. And focus your life on sharing with others what He has taught you. The body of Christ – what an awesome thing!! We need each other in the triumphs and valleys. I’m grateful today for all those who have reached out the Chapman’s – and who have reached out to me in my times of need. I love you all. And I hope to be there for you when you need the arms of God wrapped around you.

And now just as you trusted Christ to save you, trust him, too, for each day's problems; live in vital union with Him. See that you go on growing in the Lord, and become strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with joy and thanksgiving for all He has done. Col. 2:6-7 TLB

Here's all our family w/ Mr. Chapman last fall here in Syracuse!

No comments: