Saturday, March 11, 2017

Space + Time = Clarity

It never ceases to amaze me that when we create space in our lives for a specific period of time and ask God to fill it with what He wants, He does - in abundance!

As Lent approached and I considered what I could 'give up' in an effort to have more room to consider the last weeks of Jesus' life on Earth, I murmured to God, "What would I miss more...coffee or chocolate?" (because you know you have to choose that thing(s) you really want on a daily (or hourly) basis).

The voice in my head said, "social media".

"Excuse me? Coffee or chocolate?"
"You heard Me."
"Not that."
"Yes, that."

I confess I was worried I couldn't do it.That's embarassing. Always wanting to be invited to the party,  what would I miss?

Long story short of the battle of wills - I deleted my apps. (I've learned - sometimes the hard way - it's always best for God to win because when He wins, I win.)

Been ten days now and I'm fine. In fact, I'm better than fine. I no longer look at my phone every few minutes or need to charge my phone everyday - or for a few days (how embarassing).

The even bigger story of course is how much margin has emerged. I'm not preoccupied with real news or fake news, drama in the lives of 'friends' who I may or may not even be engaged with on a regular basis, or the feelings of anxiousness that often accompany all that. Also, I have more time than ever to read the books stacked on my nightstand and listen during times of prayer.

I'm free! The space in my mind and heart now inhabited with all I'm reading as I prepare my heart for Easter is a gift I'm so thankful for.

Today God just blew my mind again. Have I mentioned how much I love reading through the Bible and seeing themes emerge (and that you should try it)? Consider it mentioned.*

In case you've heard otherwise, the book of Revelation are not even slightly intimidating. The first chapters are especially interesting and easy to understand. John is receiving images and instructions as God is critiquing seven churches. It's so applicable to us as the church and individuals.

Each has similar elements. (1) He praises them for what they are doing right and/or enduring. (2) He confronts what they're not doing so well. (3) He gives each a promise.

These promises are goosebump inducing. Check it out.

1. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God. (2:7)
2.  The one who conquers will not be hurt by the second death. (2:11)
3.  To the one who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it. (2:17) So intimate and relationship-driven.
4. The one who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations, and he will rule them. (2:26)
5. The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels. (3:5) Us - presented with pride.
6.  The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name. (3:12) --3 Names!!!
7.  The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. (3:21) Whoa. 

Hopefully you're jumping up and down with me right now. Or at least smiling ear to ear. Those are some hefty sure-things!

Perhaps you also noticed the common denominator? Not everyone is included - only a certain group of people jackpot these promises. Conquerors.

Hmmmm. That's not a word that crosses my mind often. Reminds me of medieval times.

Webster's definition of conquering:
 to gain mastery over or win by overcoming obstacles or opposition; 
to overcome by mental or moral power.

Can we just take a minute and let that settle?
Those are some powerful verbs and I dig them.
Not because I think I rock at them or that it will easy, but because if God promises to reward conquerors, then becoming a conqueror is possible with His help!

Gain mastery. Win by overcoming obstacles or opposition. Overcome by moral power.  Ooooo. Christ-followers can master and overcome...no wimps here!

Before we land on just this good news, which is important and super motivating, let's remember what comes before the promises. I wonder what He would say to me.
I know your ___________ and how well you ______________, BUT I have _________________ against you.

Gulp.
If you're like me, you pay more attention to the 2nd part, what we're not doing so well in. You know, the spiritual discipline of self-punishment or self-torture. I don't think this is God's intent or very fruitful if prolonged and results in our paralysis.

For sure we need to honestly self-critique and make the adjustments necessary to please God. But we also need to stop, reflect and possibly celebrate what we have and are getting right.

God does...so we should too. Successes are motivating toward becoming conquerors! The spiritual discipline of celebrating growth?

Maybe the modification below is more accurate...? You fill in the blanks with your stuff.

Dear ________,

I know your ___________  (great job!) and how well you ______________ (congratulations!), BUT I have _________________ against you (repent and sin no more)Because when you become a conqueror, I have unimaginable things planned for you.

Your Heavenly Father who loves you so much,
God

We're merely over a week into Lent and have learned this - Space + Time = Clarity. Not too late to get some of your own.

 *P.S. this is not nagging, I promise.

No comments: