Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Feast for the Eyes and a Feast for the Soul

 This is Utah from an airplane.  A few weeks ago we had a conversation. Do we save money or accept a long time standing offer to go visit friends we haven't been in the same room with for almost twenty years? 

I thought for sure I knew what Scott's answer would be. I was surprised and delighted when he said, "I think it's time we treat ourselves to reconnecting with an important friendship". So we booked our flights.
When you marry a person, you can get thrown into some of their relationships already in progress. Scott introduced them as two of his closest friends. I hoped I would measure up to their expectations for him. Sometimes you click and sometimes you don't. Turns out that together they would become one of the biggest blessings in my life.
Early in our marriage we spent a good amount of time in their home. We played cards, the women shopped while the husbands played video games, we ate terrible but delicious food and started raising our families together. Those were fun, good days that ended too soon.
I often say that he unofficially discipled this young wife and mother. He was the strong leader of our little group, often calling us who were a smidge younger to step up and grow up. I learned so much from him and quote those lessons often.
For years to come, he would be the go to phone call in time of crisis or need of advice. When my Dad died and I was asked to speak the eulogy, he proofread my first draft.
When we were in a dark season of wondering what God was doing with us, he skyped encouragement with Scott on a regular basis, which carried us through.
I'm a reader today because of his influence. I might possibly be a softer person because of what they've taught me about grace. My thinking is always expanded and usually corrected when we have time to go deep.
None of us had any doubt that even with two decades since our last face-to-face, there would be no awkwardness and we'd pick up where we left off. It was sweet. It was silly. It was refreshing. It was fun. We played cards, we talked about our kids, we reminisced about past memories, and we ate terrible but delicious food. We got to attend their church, participate in the service even, and meet their people.

The bonus glory was to feast on God's beautiful creation out west. Breathtaking everywhere you look. And snow in October on top of the biggest mountains I've ever been on.
These are the two men who have taught me more about God and life and ministry than any others. I'm forever grateful for their friendship with each other. I brought with me some questions I was wrestling with because I knew I would get answers and insight.

I came away with new book titles and homework.
Someone said, "There's something special about hanging with people who share your same worldview about most things. Biblical fellowship." It's certainly what this couple travelled 2,150 miles to enjoy.

Once home and reading one of my new books, I came across these words.

"...we all need some people in our lives that really want to know how we are - and who we can trust with the truth. People who know us well enough that when they speak into our life, it fits our reality, not our image...where the upside of positive peer pressure spurs us on to greater heights, and where we're positioned to receive the help we need the moment we need it."

"...be open to the help and insight of other believers. The Bible calls this seeking wise counsel.  By checking in with others, I have the ability to pick up what I missed on my own and to discover and correct what I might have misunderstood...It's amazing what another set of ears can do. Each of us picks up something different...The same power of collaboration can bring clarity when God's leading seems unclear or hard to decipher...seeking the help of others can bring to light things I miss - or even more importantly, things I thought I heard quite clearly but in reality missed quite badly."

Yes. This is why I'm grateful for a longtime, honest friendship where there is no need to put on a facade or rearrange or hide what is in my heart to project a better image of self.

I'll take this kind of sharpening over that any day of the week.

Saying goodbye wasn't easy. Before we returned home to our very different, but equally beautiful mountains, a pledge was made to not wait another twenty years for the next visit.

Here at CAMP-of-the-WOODS where we live and serve, we use the phrase 'a vacation with a purpose' quite often. That's what our trip to Utah was. Feast for the eyes and feast for the soul.

It's not even Thanksgiving yet and we are stuffed with gratitude.  


Quotes from A Contrarian's Guide to Knowing God: Spirituality For the Rest of Us by Larry Osborne

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your insights. Would you be willing to share the name of the book that you quoted? It sounds like one I should invest some time in. Thank you for all of your efforts and for being His mouthpiece in your blog. Continued prayers for you and your family and enjoy a BLESSED Thanksgiving! -Dianne Smit

angelab said...

Dianne...it's called A Contrarian's Guide to Knowing God by Larry Osborne. That's the old title. I believe there's an updated version. It's a great read.
Thanks for commenting and Happy Thanksgiving to you!