Friday, June 17, 2016

Summer Has Come....In Every Way

Well, it was a long winter. Even though I say all the time that it is my favorite season, I sure am enjoying Spring/beginning of Summer. Our little town here in the mountains pretty much shut down for many months of cold weather and we stayed inside a lot. 
A. Lot.

But now? I insist on almost daily sunset walks along the beach. The whole staff, who we spend most of our time with, is practically giddy with the sunshine, warm temperatures and gorgeous landscape coming alive.

Camp starts next Saturday when our first guests arrive. This week summer staff started to arrive. I believe we will gain about 300 to our number by Monday. It's all so exciting. Everything is abuzz! 

The college kids assigned to Scott and me are mostly all here and we've been training everyday. I've noticed we've already started putting in the expected 54 hours a week, more really. But when you love your job, it's not hard to do. Good thing we live only a short walk from our home. No travel commute.

Anyway, so today after work I took a stroll through Camp to see what's happening and thought you'd like to see some pictures. Allow me to narrate.

First stop, I see the Guest Services 'limo' golf carts are out of storage and zipping around. This is Scott's area.
 
Either I'm getting old or I'm starved for color, because everyday I mention how gorgeous all this green is. Every day. If I had a quarter for every eye roll from Scott and Ben...
It was a long brown winter if you know what I mean.

It didn't take long to wander into the Arts and Crafts building, one of my favorite spots. I see they are busy setting up all the crafty possibilities. Thursday nights are for adults only and they can't come soon enough.

Next up the Trading Post (aka best gift shop in the Adk). It was locked, so this crazy lady tried to take a pic through the window. Lucky for her, she knows one of the higher ups who carries a key to everything......sssshhhhh.

 Last summer I pledged to purchase one piece of jewelry each week. I may or may not have achieved that goal.

 I don't know if 10 weeks are enough...

You see my problem?

May have to double up this year.

A cute guy came by and walked with me....

to the beach. Ahhhh. 


Flowers everywhere - finally.

I heard there was an ice cream shipment delivered here today. I guess I'll have to check that out too. I mean it's my job to participate in all areas of Camp. I don't see how I have a choice.

Everywhere you look God shows off His creative genius in the natural beauty of blue skies, mountains, streams, tall pines and so much more.

 We will hear amazing speakers here.


Scott is quite proud of this fountain. I guess it hasn't been functional for some time. This is our view when we walk home everyday.

It is not lost on me that one year ago this weekend our lives changed in a big way. We thought we were just coming for the summer to prevent us from rattling around our house with no job prospects and no kids at home in hopes that one of us wouldn't snap and possibly harm the other. Ahem.

We didn't know they would have two year-round full-time positions perfectly suited for both of us. That we would serve Camp guests sort of like we used to serve our church people.

We didn't know by the end of our 9-week contract that we'd be selling our home and moving our life up here to Speculator, NY.

We didn't know that once a week our dining room would be filled with strapping young men who could use a Mom's cooking and a Dad's kind, loving presence.

We didn't know I would have so many young women to love, encourage, learn from and pray for.

We didn't know God would restore all that we had lost in a long season of un and semi-employment.

There was so much we just didn't know.

But God did. He had been preparing it while we were in the dark. When we didn't know but dared to trust Him anyway. If you missed that story, you can catch up here.

The moral of this story is that God knew. His eye was on us and we were on His mind. He was listening to our prayers.

Yes, He made us wait. Yes, we were confused. Yes, we were hurt. Yes, one of us cried buckets of tears. Yes, we were straining under the weight of the wait.

Then just when we were hoping most and praying hardest for it, even with no indication on any horizon that it was near, He showed up! Not only did He show up, but He showed off. (See Psalm 66)

We love Him more than ever now.

He really is a good, good Father. He leads His sheep tenderly. He doesn't let even one get away from His gaze. No, not one.

Look at me now, I'm talking to you. Are you waiting? Are you confused? Are you hurt? Have you cried buckets? Do you wonder if He sees and hears you? If He cares?

Let me say with confidence He does. Don't grow weary or lose heart. Fix your eyes on Jesus. He loves you. He is working in ways you cannot see but make no mistake, He is working. One day it will be revealed to you and you will see.

Hang in there. Hold on tight (to the promises in His Word).* Soon you will marvel and so will everyone who has watched you wait. It will all be worth it.

A place of beauty awaits you.


*Just for fun, do a word search in the Bible for 'wait' or 'waiting'. You will be amazed at the volume of blessings promised to those who endure.

No comments: